Revel in Wanaka’s outdoor paradise on foot, bike, and kayak
Take a deep dive into the Otago region on a 4-day active adventure in Wanaka. Let a local leader show you the very best of this slice of the South Island as you cycle the heritage-filled surrounds of gold rush Arrowtown, hike up to the hanging glaciers beneath Rob Roy Peak, kayak the glassy waters of Lake Wanaka and taste regional flavours at a local winery. Soak in spectacular cinematic backdrops as you walk up Mt Iron, visit a secluded Lake Wanaka island and experience a brand-new and thrilling cycling trail. From epic views to exhilarating activities, this adventure is sure to get your heart rate up.
Combine the best cycling, hiking and kayaking experiences that Otago has to offer from one central base in stunning Wanaka.
Spend a morning hiking to the dramatic hanging glaciers beneath the towering Rob Roy Peak then kick back at a local winery where you’ll meet the winemaker and learn the local craft.
Hike to a lake within an island in a lake on an island, looking out for rare birds and insects along the way, then cool off with a swim in crystal clear waters.
Cycle a spectacular brand-new track along man-made wooden trails secured to the bottom of sheer rock faces – arguably the best bit of cycling trail in Otago!
Experience the beauty of Lake Wanaka from a different perspective as you take a guided kayaking tour across its waters, surrounded by unforgettable mountain views.
This trip includes a variety of activities (walking, cycling & kayaking). While not too strenuous, an average level of fitness is required. The cycling and hiking are done on reasonably graded trails - albeit with a few challenging sections on the Lake Dunstan Cycle track - and do not require a high level of experience. Kayaking is done on flat water.
Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Active New Zealand: Wanaka trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts at 10am in Queenstown on day 1.
2. This trip finishes with a drop off at 6pm in Queenstown on day 4. Please do not book any flights until after 10pm this evening.
3. Trips running from 15 Sept to 12 Oct, 15 Dec 2022 to 4 Jan 2023, & 9 Jan to 31 Dec 2023 will stay at the Wanaka Hotel. Trips starting between 13 Oct 2022 and 14 Dec 2022, and 5 Jan to 8 Jan 2023 will stay at the Wanaka Lodge. All activities and inclusions are the same.
4. Bicycle hire is included so we require all clients' height at the time of booking.
5. Bike helmets are supplied also but you may wish to bring your own.
6. We recommend you wear closed-toe shoes and suitable clothing for the walks and cycling.
7. The cycling on this trip is not accompanied by a support vehicle.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information