The home of classical composers and charming castles, Austria offers a fine mix of cultured cities, slow-paced towns and stunning mountain scenery.
Get closer to European masters of art and architecture, breathe in crisp, alpine air, savour sweet culinary treats in coffee houses or get adventurous and tackle the slopes - Austria is a destination for culture vultures, nature-enthusiasts, food lovers and thrill-seekers alike.
Our Austria trips
15 Days From $2,155
8 Days From $1,690
15 Days From $2,095
9 Days From $2,045
29 Days From $4,095
36 Days From $6,425
22 Days From $3,195
29 Days From $5,245
8 Days From $1,660
43 Days From $7,440
36 Days From $6,245
Articles on Austria
Austria travel highlights
Admire impressive cathedrals and grand palaces while walking the streets of Vienna
Get active by hitting the snowy slopes of Austria
Stay in the small, friendly village pensions of rural Austria
Austria holiday information
At a glance
Best time to visit Austria
Geography and environment
Health and safety
Austria travel FAQs
When dining out, service charges and taxes are usually included in the bill. Rounding up to the nearest euro or adding 5-10% is customary, although optional.
Internet access is very good in Austria, with internet cafes and Wi-Fi hotspots easily found in most cities and major towns.
Mobile phone coverage is generally very good in most parts of Austria. Ensure global roaming is activated before you arrive.
Modern, flushable toilets are the standard in Austria.
Can of soft drink = 1-2 Euro
Local transport ticket = 2 Euro
Pint of local beer = 2-4 Euro
Simple lunch at a cafe = 8-10 Euro
Dinner in a nice restaurant = 20-30 Euro
Tap water is considered safe to drink unless otherwise marked.
Major credit cards are widely accepted by stores and hotels in Austria. Smaller cafes and shops may not accept credit cards, so ensure you carry enough cash to cover small purchases.
ATMs are very common in Austria, so finding one won't be a problem in most towns and cities.
Absolutely. All passengers travelling with Intrepid are required to purchase travel insurance before the start of their trip. Your travel insurance details will be recorded by your leader on the first day of the trip. Due to the varying nature, availability and cost of health care around the world, travel insurance is very much an essential and necessary part of every journey.
For more information on insurance, please go to: Travel Insurance
- 1 Jan New Year's Day
- 6 Jan Epiphany
- 16 Apr Easter Sunday
- 17 Apr Easter Monday
- 1 May International Workers' Day
- 25 May Ascension Day
- 4 Jun Whit Sunday
- 5 Jun Whit Monday
- 15 Jun Corpus Christi
- 15 Aug Assumption of the Virgin Mary
- 26 Oct National Day
- 1 Nov All Saints' Day
- 8 Dec Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- 25 Dec Christmas Day
- 26 Dec St. Stephen's Day
Please note these dates are for 2017. For a current list of public holidays in Austria go to: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/austria/public-holidays
Intrepid is committed to travelling in a way that is respectful of local people, their culture, local economies and the environment. It's important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be appropriate in another. Please keep this in mind while travelling.
Top responsible travel tips for Austria
- Be considerate of Austria’s customs, traditions, religion and culture.
- For environmental reasons, try to avoid buying bottled water. Instead, fill a reusable water bottle or canteen with filtered water.
- Always dispose of litter thoughtfully, including cigarette butts.
- When bargaining at markets, stay calm, be reasonable and keep a smile on your face. It's meant to be fun!
- Learn some local language and don't be afraid to use it - simple greetings will help break the ice.
- Shop for locally made products. Supporting local artisans helps keep traditional crafts alive.
- Refrain from supporting businesses that exploit or abuse endangered animals.
- Please ask and receive permission before taking photos of people, including children.