Spend a week retracing the steps of the ancient Inca civilisation on the historical Inca trail hike. Explore Cusco's maze of ruins and cobblestone streets, and discover the fascinating colonial and Inca histories that have visually impacted this fascinating town. Rise early to join our expert local guides and porters for a challenging hike along the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu. Watch the sun rise over the enigmatic ruins and get lost exploring these crumbling structures, an experience that is sure to take your breath away. This week-long tour is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will challenge and reward.
Dates and availability
1. This tour is a Short Break Adventure, which means you are not accompanied by an Intrepid group leader, our local representative fills this role and the configuration of any fellow travelers in the group might change during the trip. This trip will run with a minimum of one person, so you may be joined by other travelers booked on the same date as you, or you may be on your own.
2. Inca Trail* permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavor to secure a permit for you. If Inca Trail* permits are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail
3. The Inca Trail* closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February you will be automatically booked to hike the Quarry Trail.
4. The train option is not available on this trip. Customers wanting to take the train should see trip code GGHK on our website, or one of our group trips such as GGTA that include the train option
5. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
6. While hiking the Inca Trail* or Quarry Trail you may be joined by other Intrepid and/or non-Intrepid travelers.
7. Parts of your trip go above 2800 meters / 9200 feet where it is common for travelers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. Please read the following document carefully and, during your trip, utilize the table on the back daily to record your own perspective of your general health and any symptoms you may experience: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/altitude-sickness
8. As you can choose different ways of reaching Machu Picchu (Inca Trail, Quarry Trail or Train), there is a small chance you may be the only traveller on your selected option.
Filter by rating