Get straight down to business and up the Inca Trail
Whether you're dreaming of walking the Inca Trail, seeing Machu Picchu or deep diving into the cultural wonders of Cusco, this trip has something special in store. You'll arrive in Cusco and waste no time in tackling your choice of trail to the ‘City in the Clouds’, or alternatively hang out in beautiful Cusco and Aguas Calientes before travelling by train on the penultimate day of the tour. The choice is yours! You can make this trip whatever you wish - just know whatever you choose, it's sure to be an incredible experience. We employ local guides and porters, so you can be sure your trek is benefitting the Andean community.
Some of our under-30 travellers prefer to get around with people their own age. If that’s you, you’re in the right place!
Over 29? We’ve got over 900 other great adventures to choose from for solo travellers, friends, families, food lovers, hiking enthusiasts, and more.
For a limited time only secure your dream 2023 adventure for $99 - Offer ends soon!Terms & Conditions
Travel solo, together
You're never alone when travelling solo with Intrepid
Choose your own adventure! Whether you pick the classic Inca Trail*, the Quarry Trail or take the train route, we are dedicated to making it unforgettable.
This trip is perfect for those who want to tackle the Inca Trail in just a few days and explore the beauty of Machu Picchu but don’t want to commit to a longer tour.
Don't worry, we won't hog all of your time. You'll have plenty of opportunity to bounce around Cusco, digging deep into the city's pockets of Inca history and cobblestone alleyways.
Machu Picchu itself is a true wonder, but trekkers also witness plenty of incredible scenery, smaller Inca ruins and archaeological sites along the way.
Your time is precious, so dive right in with a guided tour of downtown Cusco on the first day of your tour.
Part of the appeal of the Inca* or Quarry Trail is being among nature. You’ll be camping with very basic, shared facilities along the trail (where there are drop toilets and no showers).
While hiking the Inca Trail* or Day 3 of the Quarry Trail, you may be joined by some travellers over the age of 29.
We’ll be experiencing a mix of hot and cold climates, so pack accordingly and bring layers.
You don’t have to be an athlete to hike the Inca* (or Quarry) Trail. But (obviously) this trip involves a lot of hiking and walking, so a moderate level of fitness is required. Please see the Inca Trail* and Machu Picchu section on the website for detailed information on different rail options. You will need durable footwear suitable for hiking. See the ‘What to Take’ section of the trip notes for more information.
Due to the high altitude of many of places we visit some people can suffer altitude sickness. Some people aren’t affected at all, but if you are, be sure to drink plenty of water and don’t push yourself too hard. If possible, arrive into Cusco a few days early to allow yourself time to acclimatise. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information about altitude sickness.
According to Machu Picchu visiting regulations, all visitors must follow a pre-determined route within the site. This route must be followed in one direction only, and once the guided visit commences exiting and re-entering the site is not permitted. Once the guided visit concludes, visitors must exit the site and personal exploration of Machu Picchu is not permitted. Please refer to the itinerary for details.
Travellers who choose different ways of reaching Machu Picchu (Inca Trail, Quarry Trail or Train), will not follow the same routes within Machu Picchu. This means that you may not be able to have photos together, overlooking Machu Picchu. This applies to travellers on the same booking or separate bookings.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Six Days to Machu Picchu trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 2 and 3 (Route 1 and 2 : Camping) and Day 4 (Route 1 : Camping) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. Inca Trail* permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you. If Inca Trail* permits are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail or travel to Machu Picchu by train.
3. The Inca Trail* closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February you will be automatically booked to hike the Quarry Trail.
4. Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know at time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made to travel to Machu Picchu by train. Without this prior warning, cancellation fees for the trekking permits may apply.
5. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
6. While hiking the Inca Trail* or Quarry Trail you may be joined by other Intrepid travellers, some who may be over 29 years old.
7. Please note this trip starts at 2pm on Day 1.
8. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. Please read the following document carefully and, during your trip, utilise the table on the back daily to record your own perspective of your general health and any symptoms you may experience: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/altitude-sickness
9. As you can choose different ways of reaching Machu Picchu (Inca Trail, Quarry Trail or Train), there is a small chance you may be the only traveller on your selected option.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information