Conquer ancient pathways on the Quarry trail hike.
Retrace the steps of the ancient Inca civilisation on the Quarry Trail hike. Explore Cusco's maze of ruins and cobblestone streets, and discover the fascinating colonial and Inca histories that have visually impacted this fascinating town. Rise early to join our expert local guides and porters for a challenging hike along the far-less-travelled Quarry Trail. On the fourth day, transfer from Kachiqata to Aguas Calientes via train before traveling on to Machu Picchu. Watch the sun rise over the enigmatic ruins and get lost exploring these crumbling structures, an experience that is sure to take your breath away. This tour is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that will challenge and reward.
Cosmopolitan, scenic and steeped in Incan heritage, Cusco is a dream to walk around. Marvel at the cathedral, explore colonial art and architecture or explore the incredible ruins nearby
Cusco's central market is a great chance to meet Quechua-speaking descendants of the Incas and browse for weird and wonderful Andean specialties
Hike to the mother of all Incan cities, magical Machu Picchu. Enjoy a guided tour of the ruins, plus free time to explore at your leisure
Be treated to incredible sunrise views over misty Machu Picchu – just cross your fingers for clear skies!
With a cook to prepare meals and porters to carry your equipment, you can focus on the walk and get the most out of your experience
This tour is a Short Break Adventure, which means you are not accompanied by an Intrepid group leader, our local representative fills this role and the configuration of any fellow travellers in the group might change during the trip. This trip will run with a minimum of one person, so you may be joined by other travellers booked on the same date as you, or you may be on your own.
This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Medical and Health Information’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more detail.
The trip is recommended for those with a moderate level of fitness but there are also a few different trail options to suit your interests and physical capabilities. Please bring durable footwear suitable to hiking. See the ‘Packing’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more detail.
On the trail you'll be camping with basic facilities. It's not exactly the Hilton, but the rewards of the trek are great.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Quarry Trail to Machu Picchu Extension trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This tour is a Short Break Adventure, which means you are not accompanied by an Intrepid group leader, our local representative fills this role and the configuration of any fellow travelers in the group might change during the trip. This trip will run with a minimum of one person, so you may be joined by other travelers booked on the same date as you, or you may be on your own.
2. The train option is not available on this trip. Customers wanting to take the train search for trip code GGHT on our website, or look for other group trips such as GGTA that have the train as an option.
3. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
4. While hiking the 3 day Quarry Trail portion of this trip you may be joined by other Intrepid and/or non-Intrepid travelers.
5. This trip includes one visit to Machu Picchu. According to Machu Picchu visiting regulations, all visitors must follow a pre-determined route within the site. This route must be followed in one direction only, and once the guided visit commences exiting and re-entering the site is not permitted. Once the guided visit concludes, visitors must exit the site and personal exploration of Machu Picchu is not permitted. Please refer to the itinerary for details.
6. Our only alternative is to make passengers explore the upper part of Machu Picchu (Sun gate and Inka Bridge) before their guided tour starts (so about 2 hours before meeting the guide). Your Tour Leader will provide more information on what the group options are at the Welcome meeting.
7. As you can choose different ways of reaching Machu Picchu (Inca Trail, Quarry Trail or Train), there is a small chance you may be the only traveller on your selected option.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information