Discover ancient history, old gods and desert nomads
‘You’re going where?!’ Expect to hear a lot of this – accompanied by a slack jaw and wide eyes – when you tell people you’re heading to Sudan. Few people know that among vast stretches of sand dunes, Sudan holds some of the world’s most incredible archaeological sites, ancient ruins and resilient cultures. That tucked under palm trees in oases you can meet people who live in Nubian houses painted with colourful murals, who speak unique languages and practice their own kind of Islam. On this truly Intrepid tour, you’ll discover the remnants of great empires, learn powerful recent history in museums and from the locals you travel with, explore ancient cities and necropolises, and encounter modern Sudan in souks, chai houses and nomadic settlements along the way.
Ditch the phone and settle in for evenings spent stargazing at an endless sky – just one of the perks of wild camping in the Nubian Desert.
See an unforgettable sunrise over hundreds of pyramids at the Royal Necropolis of Meroe, watching as crumbling sandstone is warmed by the light of day.
Discover surprisingly diverse scenery on an early morning volcano hike, drives through black basalt rock formations and numerous journeys across the River Nile.
Watch an incredible display of faith and celebration as whirling dervishes from the Sufi Community twirl, dance and worship outside the tomb of Hamed el-Nil at sunset.
You can’t do Sudan without a local. Your leader will introduce you to people in tiny villages, help you chat to Bisharin nomads and explain the complex history of this fascinating country.
Alcohol is not allowed in Sudan and it is not possible to purchase.
Some nights will be spent sleeping desert camping. This is camping at its most basic. Everything you require for the night will be provided however there will be no facilities apart from a camp toilet. But hey…that’s what adventures are made of!
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Northern Sudan Expedition trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This is an expedition trip and is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
2. As an expedition trip it requires a minimum of 4 people to depart. Please do not book any non-refundable flights or services before the trip is guaranteed to depart.
3. An optional single supplement is available on all nights of this trip, subject to availability. Please refer to your booking agent for further information.
4. If purchasing visas on arrival then an arrival transfer is included, please ensure the correct details are provided to Intrepid prior to your departure.
5. Please provide Intrepid with a scanned copy of your passport at least 2 months prior to the start of your trip. The passport should have minimum 6 months validity, 2 free consecutive pages and NO Israel visa or stamp).
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information