Take an all-encompassing journey through incredible Peru, from Lima to Cusco
Visit Peru and discover its highlights from Lima to Cusco on an exciting journey that encompasses modern cities and ancient worlds. From the depths of the Amazon to the heights of the Andes and on to the unique islands of Lake Titicaca, be immersed in fascinating Peruvian culture while discovering its history buried deep within the walls of lost cities. Take the chance to hike the iconic Inca Trail and witness the glorious Machu Picchu, delve into the heart of preserved island traditions during a homestay with the Uru people, observe Andean condors take the sky at sun rise over the Colca Canyon and acclimatise to the altitude with a classic Pisco Sour cocktail in the city of it’s creation.
Discover Lima’s grand colonial facades, Spanish houses, endless culture and delicious cuisine during your free time in the Peruvian capital.
Take the opportunity to board a scenic flight over the Nazca Lines – whether they’re the work of ancient civilizations or something more supernatural, it’s an incredible experience.
Trek the Inca Trail, the Quarry Trail or take the scenic train route, no matter how you get there, the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu are a majestic destination.
Explore Cusco, South America's oldest continuously inhabited city, with its ancient foundations and interesting blend of Inca and colonial influences.
Experience the untouched world of the Amazon rainforest. Stroll along jungle trails on the lookout for monkeys, parrots, otters and caimans.
This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the Essential Trip information (ETI) for more important information on this.
This trip involves a lot of walking to see the sites, and if you do the Inca trail, there'll be strenuous hiking. The trip is recommended for those with a moderate level of fitness but there are also a few different trail options to suit your interests and physical capabilities. Please bring durable footwear suitable for hiking. See the ‘What to Take’ section of the Essential Trip information (ETI) for more information.
For many of the stops along the tour, you'll have very basic accommodation. This includes the two homestays in rural Peru, the amazon eco-lodge and camping along the Inca Trail (if you do this option). There'll be no power in these places, some won't have showers and hot water.
The Amazon Rainforest can be hot, humid and sticky. While travelling in this region, it's best to wear light cotton clothing, and don't forget your insect repellent.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Peru Encompassed trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally, on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary. Details provided must be accurate as per your passport bio page. This will be used for applying for your Inca permit and if any info doesn’t match your passport, Inca authority will refuse your entry.
2. Please note this trip starts at 4pm on day 1. If you are unable to find a suitable flight it is possible to book additional nights at the joining accommodation. We recommend that travellers intending to depart Lima on the final day of the trip book flights out of Lima no earlier than 12 at noon, to allow for possible delays on returning to Lima or in the event of needing to take antigen or a PCR test. Intrepid staff will be able to assist in booking any required tests.
3. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 4 (Overnight Bus), Day 8 (Homestay), Days 12, 13 and 14 (Camping) and Days 17 and 18 (Jungle Lodge) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
4. Inca Trail permits are sold on request basis only. Once deposit is paid and passport details provided, Intrepid will endeavour to secure a permit for you. Due to the reduced capacity of Inca Trail during Covid period, if Inca Trail permits of our chosen route are unavailable by the time you book, you can opt to hike the Inca Quarry Trail instead https://www.intrepidtravel.com/machu-picchu-peru/quarry-trail
The timing of trekking may vary depending on the route and time slot we are given for entering the Inca Trail. Your group leader will give you the details at the welcome group meeting on Day 1 of your trip.
5. The Inca Trail closes in February to allow cleaning and restoration works. If the trek portion of your trip starts in February, you will be automatically booked to hike the Inca Quarry Trail.
6. Should you choose not to hike at all, please let us know in writing at the time of booking so alternative arrangements can be made. Without this prior warning, local fees may apply.
7. While hiking the 4-day Inca Trail or the 3-day Inca Quarry trail portion of this trip you may be joined by other Intrepid and/or non-Intrepid travellers.
8. Mask wearing is mandatory in Peru during Covid period as part of the local regulation. Travellers will be required to wear masks in situations where they are unable to physically distance themselves from other group members, whether hiking, in public gathering areas such as campsites or when visiting local communities.
9. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude - regardless of your age, gender and fitness. Please consult your doctor for professional advice about travelling at high altitude if you have a health condition.
10. Most hotels in highlands should have oxygen cylinders available, however, you may be asked to pay surcharge for use of oxygen longer than 5 - 10 min at the time.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information