Discover the culture, history and hospitality of Iran and Turkey
Explore Iran and Turkey on a 27-day Premium adventure, encompassing the best of these historically and culturally rich countries. Go behind the headlines and uncover the true Iran, a welcoming country of open-hearted people. From breath-taking mosques to stepped hillside villages, Ancient Persepolis and Zoroastrian towers, the beauty of the Iranian landscape is a reflection of its inhabitants. Journey to Turkey, a land of infinite variety that mixes the cosmopolitan delights of Istanbul with ancient cities and natural wonders. Visit a dazzling architectural world, from the Blue Mosque and Ephesus, to the bizarre rock-landscape of Cappadocia.
Your local leaders are on hand each day to bridge connections with the locals, give you an insight into each country’s rich history and take you to the best bazaars and cafes, making your adventures in these intriguing countries a breeze.
Stroll the ancient streets of Ephesus, uncover the secrets of Sagalassos, explore the former city of Persepolis, visit the legendary ruins of Troy and discover Istanbul’s Blue Mosque, Hippodrome and the Million.
Experience the joys of Persian and Turkish cuisine with welcome dinners of local specialties, dinners in the homes of local families in Taft and Cappadocia, a visit to a traditional sweet shop in Yazd and a freshly prepared lunch on board a boat cruise in Kas.
Step into a fairy tale at Cappadocia’s enchanting Splendid Cave Hotel, where you’ll enjoy elegantly decorated rooms carved from stone and priceless views of the ethereal landscape.
Enjoy a cruise around the hidden coves and islets of Turkey’s southern coast, guided by a local couple who have been navigating the waters for years.
Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. It is very important that you adhere to a strict dress code – particularly for women – in what may be quite warm weather. Upon arrival in Iran, all women must wear a headscarf and must also have their arms and legs covered. Men must also be conservatively dressed.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden in Iran and severe penalties will be incurred by anyone attempting to bring it into the country. Drug laws are also extremely strict, and travellers face lengthy jail terms if caught. Other prohibited items include pork, material deemed obscene by Iranian law (which can include non-pornographic materials like fashion magazines), and controversial literature. These will all be confiscated by customs officials. Upon arrival, you as a foreigner will likely be whisked through customs but note that random bag checks do occur.
It's becoming increasingly difficult to confirm preferred hotels in Iran due to limited four-star options in the region. While we will always look to the next suitable alternative, in some cases these may not be centrally located. It's important to note that local star ratings may not match those you are used to. In some locations, the three-star hotels are a better quality (and location) than the four-star hotels and are priced accordingly.
Iran and Turkey are big countires and you’ll cover a lot in two weeks, which means some long travel days and a busy itinerary. All land travel is in private air-conditioned buses, with regular stops along the way.
In 2022, Ramadan will take place from 2 April to 1 May. Travelling during this holy month can be a rewarding cultural experience. However, some regular services may not be available during the daytime, such as restaurants or coffee bars, and occasionally travel can be disrupted by events. Your leader will adjust the itinerary accordingly, but please consider your travel arrangements carefully before booking travel for this period.
1. A complimentary airport arrival transfer is included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. This trip includes domestic and international flights as indicated on the trip map. The luggage allowance for domestic flights is 15kg for check in luggage and 5kg for carry on. The international flight between Iran and Turkey has a luggage allowance of 20kg for check in luggage and 8kg for carry on. While in Turkey, you can store excess luggage at the Istanbul hotel.
4. US, British and Canadian passport holders will need to book this trip at least three months before departure as this is the length of time it takes to process a visa for these nationalities. There may also be further travel restrictions that apply to these nationalities including restrictions for when you can arrive and depart. Please see the ‘Passport and Visa’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more details. Ensure you discuss options with a booking agent before confirming and booking any non-refundable airfares. We also encourage you to refer to our online visa application for more details. Simply select the relevant nationality in the drop-down menu to access detailed visa information at https://www.intrepidtravel.com/iran-visa-information-and-authorisation-c...
5. The Iran section of this itinerary has many included activities and free time for you to rest, relax or discover. Please keep in mind that under the regulations of the Iranian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, US, British and Canadian passport holders must be accompanied by a local host (Intrepid's local operator) on all activities. For this reason, your leader may suggest optional activities during this free time that are organised by our operator at your own expense. Alternativey, this free time is the perfect opportunity to relax in your hotel.
6. We recommend that before your departure you check your government's latest travel advice for information on travelling in Iran and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our ‘Travel Alerts’ page at https://www.intrepidtravel.com/en/travel-alerts
7. Travellers cannot use debit or credit cards while in Iran. You will need to bring all the money you will need for your entire trip with you. Please read through the ‘Money Matters’ section of the Essential Trip Information for further details.
8. Deposits on this trip are non-refundable and non-transferable as per our Terms and Conditions. You are required to pay a non-refundable deposit per person for your booking to be confirmed.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information