Connect with Iranian women in city salons and sleepy villages
Discover culture and comradery from the perspective of local women on this female-only expedition in Iran. Spend 12 days exploring with a local female leader and a group of female travellers and partake in a range of experiences otherwise off limits to mixed gender groups. Step inside the hidden world of an Iranian beauty salon, wander through a women-only park, and travel by public transport in the women-only carriage of the metro, local buses and an overnight train. Experience rural nomadic life with Qashqai people, meet female entrepreneurs and learn secret recipes from those in the know. This trip will expose you to a range of fascinating local women – young and old, religious and secular, conservative and liberal.
Before booking on this trip we recommend that you read the ‘Safety’ section in the Essential Trip Information regarding special safety considerations for Iran trips.
Shop for produce in a lively Iranian bazaar, prepare the food alongside local cooks and then feast on a five-course meal of age-old secret recipes with your new friends.
Enjoy a picnic in one of Iran’s women’s-only parks, one of the few places women can enjoy the sunshine without a hijab.
Immerse yourself in rural nomadic life on a beautifully remote homestay with the Qashqai people. Enjoy a meal, sing songs, try on the local dress, and give bread-baking a go.
Step inside the fascinating hidden world of an Iranian beauty salon. You’ll see that these are oases for many local women, providing a safe space for them to relax and (literally) let their hair down.
Experience the wondrous remains of the ancient capital of Persepolis – the scale and grandeur will leave you in no doubt that this was once the centre of the known world.
We would love to open up these real life experiences to all our travellers; however, in order to operate in a socially responsible and culturally sensitive manner this is simply not possible. At least not yet! If you're interested in travelling to Iran on a similar itinerary in a mixed gender group, check out some of other group departures or speak to your booking agent about a tailor-made itinerary.
While summer is a tempting option, there’s the equally attractive option of beating the crowds and going in winter. It’s actually our favourite time of year to experience this magical country so consider booking on a departures that runs during the cooler months of December through to February.
As a traveller, Iran is incredible safe and welcoming. However, it is very conservative. You’ll need to be committed to a strict dress code in what may be quite warm weather. On arrival in Iran, all women must wear a headscarf, and must also have their arms and legs covered. Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments.
Alcohol is strictly forbidden in Iran and those trying to bring any in will incur severe penalties. Drug laws are also extremely strict, and travellers face lengthy jail terms if caught. Most foreigners are whisked through customs without any delays, but random bag checks do occur.
The pathways around some sites may be uneven, rocky or dusty, and there’s exposure to the elements on some activities. Remember to bring a hat and sunscreen and drink plenty of water, and don’t forget to pack comfortable shoes!
In order to see as much as possible, this tour involves some long travel days. Please read the itinerary carefully for travel time estimates.
The village homestay is a wonderful opportunity to witness everyday life outside the city. Facilities are simple and multi-share but comfortable.
Note that we use a local supplier for our arrival transfer. As tourism is a developing industry in Iran, it is possible your driver will not speak English.
Debit or credit cards can’t be used in Iran, so you’ll need to bring cash to last you the whole trip. For more information on this, see ‘Money matters’ in the Essential Trip Information.
Getting a visa for Iran can be a frustrating and time-consuming process. It may take a couple of weeks to get your authorisation code, and then it can take up to 30 days to receive your visa back from the embassy or consulate. Rules can and do change often – this is the nature of the destination. But we are here to help you through it.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Iran: Women's Expedition trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. SINGLE SUPPLEMENT: A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 8 (the village home stay) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. TRANSFERS: A complimentary airport arrival and departure transfer is included, valid only if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
3. VISA INFORMATION: Please note that US, British and Canadian passport holders will need to book this trip at least THREE months before departure as this is the length of time it takes to process a visa for these nationalities. To avoid disappointment the application for visa should be made at the time of booking or at least THREE months prior to departure date. There may also be further travel restrictions that apply to these nationalities including restrictions for when you can arrive and depart. Please see the ‘Visa’ section in the Essential Trip Information below for more details and ensure you discuss options with your booking agent before confirming non-refundable airfares.
Please see our online visa information page for more details here http://www.intrepidtravel.com/iran-visa-application-form Simply select the relevant nationality in the drop down list to access detailed visa information.
Please be aware that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Iran have changed their visa process and passport photos must now be provided WITHOUT a head covering.
4. MONEY: Please note that travellers cannot use debit or credit cards while in Iran. You will need to bring all the money you will need for your entire trip with you. Please read through the money matters section of your essential trip information for further details.
5. ITINERARY: This itinerary has many included activities and free time for you to rest, relax or discover. Please keep in mind that under the regulations of the Iranian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, US, UK and Canadian travellers must be accompanied by a local host (Intrepid's local Operator) on all activities. For this reason, your tour leader may suggest optional activities during this free time that are organised by our operator at your own expense. Alternately this free time is the perfect opportunity to relax in your hotel.
6. BOOKING CONDITIONS: Please note deposits on this trip are non-refundable and non-transferable as per our Terms and Conditions. You are required to pay a non-refundable deposit per person for your booking to be confirmed.
7. SAFETY: We recommend that before your departure you check your government's latest travel advice for information on travelling in Iran and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues that may affect this trip on our ‘Travel alerts’ page here https://www.intrepidtravel.com/en/travel-alerts.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information