Travel to Cuba and experience the enthralling history of this fascinating Caribbean island.
Experience the splendour of Cuba – a cobblestoned Caribbean gem where the rum is plentiful, the smiles infectious and dancing is essential. Join our Hola Cuba adventure and wind your way from sultry Havana and its crumbling churches, through the valleys and farms of Pinar del Rio, and on to the Afro-inspired beats of Trinidad. Along the way we’ve assembled a cast of Cuban characters to give you a proper welcome – tobacco farmers, expert chefs, local artists, historians and salsa dancers that understand where Cuba came from, where the country sits now and, more importantly, where it’s going.
Learn the local customs, folklore and beliefs behind Afro-Cuban religion as you’re welcomed into the homes of devoted residents on a colourful and unconventional Urban Adventure in Havana.
Relish a real garden-to-plate dining experience at a privately-owned organic eco-farm in picturesque Vinales – indulge in a variety of fresh produce all while gazing across sweeping views of the valley.
Receive a fascinating insight into the rise and fall of the charismatic and highly celebrated Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara at his mausoleum and museum in Santa Clara.
Experience Cuban hospitality and old-world charm in the coastal town of Trinidad. Wander through cobblestone streets among colourful colonial buildings and relax on the picturesque Playa Ancon.
Support the Cuban community by staying at privately-owned guesthouses, dining at home-grown restaurants, and gaining insider knowledge into Cuba’s history, thanks to the expertise of local guides.
The guesthouses (casas) we use are much nicer than your average Cuban dwelling and each room is unique. Regardless of where you stay, power cuts and breaks in hot water supply are sometimes unavoidable, as in any developing country – but we believe that this is all a part of the local experience.
Bank cards issued by US banks or banks affiliated with US banks are not accepted in Cuba at all. Ideally bring cash to exchange (EUR, CAD or GBP) or cards from several different non-US banks just to be sure. Part of Cuba’s appeal is its old-fashioned style – this includes the banking systems!
Luxuries such as air conditioning, plush pillows, and fly screens, are often scarce. Part of the experience here is learning to appreciate everyday Cuban resourcefulness.
Internet access can be hard to come by, and when it's available it's often unreliable and expensive. Treat this as a great opportunity to take a break from modern devices and have a true holiday.
Cuba is different, and that's a big part of its allure. Things don't always go according to plan, and many things don't work the same way as back home. Patience and good humour will go a long way in this beautiful destination.
Due to licensing restrictions, only 1-night pre-tour accommodation may be requested. Post-tour accommodation cannot be offered.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Hola Cuba - for US citizens trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm on Day 1. There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. Our licensing agreement allows one night of pre-tour accommodation to be booked only when airline scheduling impedes your ability to arrive in time for the welcome meeting on Day 1 (subject to availability). Post-tour accommodation cannot be offered under our license.
3. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
4. Complimentary airport arrival & departure transfers are included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 or if you have booked pre-tour accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 5 days before travel.
5. Please advise bedding configuration requests to your booking agent at least 14 days before travel to aid guesthouse and rooming allocations, which are finalized 10 days before departure based on the configuration of each traveling party. You may request your confirmed guesthouse name and address inside 7 days of departure from your booking agent. Rest assured, the transfer driver will know the address of your assigned guesthouse.
6. Intrepid US, Inc. ("Intrepid US") provides legal tours to Cuba for Americans under the ‘Support for the Cuban People” category (§ 515.574); to be declared when selecting from the 11 permitted categories of travel. United States law specifies that to comply with this category, travelers must engage in the full-time schedule of activities provided by our program. The responsibility of tracking and recording activities and interactions with Cuba people is on the onus of the traveler which will be encouraged and facilitated by your tour leader. The US government is allowed to ask you for receipts and records from your trip to Cuba for up to five years.
7. If traveling directly from the USA to Cuba, a Cuban tourist card is to be obtained online or through your airline (usually at the airport).
8. The Cuban government has declared that travel insurance is compulsory for all travelers. Proof of insurance may be requested at the airport by immigration officials.
9. There are unprecedented changes happening in Cuba right now. It is an exciting time but it also means some patience and understanding is required for the heightened demand for infrastructure, accommodation, and services. To help set your expectations correctly, please read the ‘Frequently Asked Questions’, ‘Is this trip right for you?’ and ‘Joining point description’ sections in the Essential Trip Information Document. Please call our adventure consultants on 1 800 970 7299 or visit https://www.intrepidtravel.com if you have questions.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information