- The Intrepid Experience
- About Intrepid
- Booking Intrepid
At Intrepid we recognize that privacy is important. This document outlines the types of personal information we receive and collect when you use our services, as well as some of the steps we take to safeguard information. We hope this will help you make an informed decision about sharing personal information with us.
If you have a complaint, or would like more information about our data management practices, we can be reached via email at email@example.com or by calling our local offices. Our postal address is Level 3, 380 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC, 3000.
What data do we collect?
Depending on the circumstances, Intrepid may collect personal information when you register for a service or book a trip with us, including some or all of the following; email, name, address, telephone number, credit card billing details including expiry dates, and passport details;
- Register on My Intrepid
- Register interest for and/or enter a competition
- Subscribe to one of our Email newsletters
- Download or request a brochure or other printed materials
- Refer a friend to Intrepid
- Book a trip with us
When you are travelling with us, we may take video and images of you that may be used in brochures, in our advertising, and on our website. All participants of Intrepid Travel trips authorise Intrepid Travel to use his/her image (such as photograph, videotape, film or pictorial representation or recorded voice). If you do not wish for this to happen please notify Intrepid Travel in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org or to Marketing Coordinator, Level 3, 380 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne, VIC, 3000.
How do we collect the data?
You may volunteer this information when you interact with us by telephone, email, by entering details in our website, or by speaking to one of our sales consultants in-store. We may also receive the information from a third party, for example;
- from people making travel bookings on your behalf
- from market research and data companies contracted by us to obtain information so that we may improve and market our products and services;
- from other companies within the PEAK/Intrepid Travel group.
How the data is used
- We may combine personal information collected from you at different times to provide a better user experience, including customizing content for you.
- We may use personal information to provide the services you've requested, including sending email newsletters, or sending printed materials to your postal address.
- We may also use personal information for auditing, research and analysis to operate and improve Intrepid's services.
- Intrepid processes personal information on our servers in Australia and in other countries. In some cases, we process personal information on a server outside your own country.
- Intrepid's servers automatically record information when you visit our website, including the pages you visit, your IP address, browser type and language, and the date and time of your visit. We cannot identify you individually from this information. This information is used to make improvements to our site and make it easier to find the information you are looking for.
- When you provide your email address to Intrepid Travel to make an online booking, your contact details may be retained even if the transaction is not completed. These details are captured using a secure service called VeCapture by Ve Interactive. This is so we can assist you in future with online bookings, and as a result of this you may receive an enquiry email. If you choose not to respond to this email, your data will be destroyed and not used for any future communications.
For more information on this service please visit http://www.veinteractive.com/
Disclosure with suppliers/ third parties/ affiliates
- We may share aggregated non-personal information with third parties outside of Intrepid, such as our travel industry partners to better analyse trends and further improve our services. Please only supply information that you are happy to be disclosed in this manner.
- We may also share information with third parties in limited circumstances, including when complying with legal process, preventing fraud or imminent harm, and ensuring the security of our network and services.
Access to your information
To access the information we hold about you, or to make corrections or updates to your personal details, please contact us by emailing email@example.com. We may charge a nominal fee for this.
- We offer you choices when we ask for personal information, whenever reasonably possible.
- We will provide you access to your personal information upon request, within reason, and to let you correct such data if it is inaccurate and delete it.
Card security policy
- Intrepid Travel Pty Ltd maintains the security of your credit card data by the following measures: All online payments are submitted over a secured socket layer (SSL). Credit card information is transmitted immediately to a payment gateway solution via an encrypted port. Intrepid does not store your credit card number in any of our systems, it is used only within the context of the transaction then destroyed upon receipt from an acquiring bank. All credit card payments receive an identification number that is proof of the transaction's acceptance into the banking system. This identification number can be used to trace any transaction back to the credit card issuer (for example, the bank that issued the MasterCard, or VISA credit card).
Use of TOOLS/"COOKIES" and links to other websites
Our website(s) may contain links to third party websites or micro-sites not controlled or owned by us. For example, reference sites or ancillary products and services sites or websites owned by our sister companies. It is your responsibility to check the status of these sites before using them. Please read their applicable terms and conditions, etc. carefully.
STATEMENT ON COOKIES
- Storing what's in your shopping basket: This allows you to book trips with us
- Collecting information: This means we can learn more about how you use our website so we can improve our products and online experience.
- Tailoring your experience: Cookies allow us to provide you with information, products and services that we think you'll find interesting
- Making our marketing relevant: We can show you relevant offers and promotions on our own websites and through our advertising networks.
Types of cookies we use
Read more about the types of cookies our websites use and some more details about what they're used for.
By using our websites, you agree to us using cookies as set out in our Statement on Cookies.
COOKIES - THE LOWDOWN
Read through this section for all you need to know about what cookies are and how we use them.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files placed on your computer by us or our partners. They let us identify the device you're using - but not you personally. This information is sent back to our systems as you move around our website.
Cookies are unique to the web browser you're using - so if you're using a desktop computer as well as a mobile, different data will be collected for each.
You can find more information on the About Cookies website
Cookies can be set by the owner of the website you're on. These are known as 1st Party Cookies. There are also 3rd Party Cookies that can be set by partner websites. Only the owner of the cookie can see the anonymous information it collects.
You can choose to accept all cookies, reject 3rd Party Cookies or reject all cookies by changing your internet browser settings. If you don't accept cookies, some features of our website won't work. For example, you won't be able to make a booking.
- Make it possible for you to use our website
- Show you information and offers that are relevant to you
- Find out more about how our customers use the site
Buying our products online
Keeping track of your searches and preferences.
Your recent searches and shortlisted holidays are recorded using cookies.
If you've made a shortlist but you haven't saved it by entering your email address, we'll store your shortlisted holidays using a cookie, so you'll be able to see it when you visit us again using the same computer or device.
Improving your experience
We can also find out how you move around our website, so we can look into any errors stopping you from being able to do what you want. The data we collect from cookies is really important for us to improve your experience.
Making your experience personal
When you're on our website, we might interact with you or show you personalised information and offers anonymously. Cookies help us to do this by letting us know how you're using our website on your particular computer or device, which means we can work out what's most relevant to you.
Adverts on other websites
Refusing cookies and changing your mind after you've accepted
You can change your browser settings to accept or refuse all cookies, choose which cookies you want or don't want, or ask to be notified when a cookie is set. Use the help feature in your browser to see how.
Changing your mind after you've accepted our cookies
Take a look at the websites of Pinsent Masons law firm or the Internet Advertising Bureau for independent information on cookies - including how to refuse or delete them from your computer or device.
Find out more on cookies
Information from our agencies and partners
For more information about our privacy practices, please contact us any time. Or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Intrepid Express newsletter features stories from our travellers and staff, special offers and the chance to win a free trip every fortnight.Subscribe to Express today
Order a 2014 brochure
Africa to Antarctica, Trekking to Sailing, Food to Family trips - your next adventure starts with an Intrepid Travel brochure.Order a brochure