Delight in the charming French countryside and inspiring Chateaux on a Loire Valley cycling adventure.
The Loire Valley is renowned for its picturesque countryside, charming villages and impressive food and wine. Combine this with cycling, and you’ve got a perfect way to discover the region. Cycle alongside the serene Loire River, visit a selection of classic chateaux, marvel at the manicured gardens and far-reaching vineyards, and indulge in local delicacies. This small-group adventure through the Loire Valley on a seven-day active cycling journey through the countryside is sure to delight the senses and fulfil all your French fantasies.
Cycle along the Loire River, passing by classic quaint villages and the verdant countryside in the north west of France.
You haven’t seen chateaux until you’ve seen the ones in France. Marvel at the Chateau de Chenonceau, which spans the banks of the Cher River, and the acclaimed Chateau de Villandry, among others.
Consider the option of visiting a chateau turned museum, showcasing Leonardo da Vinci’s designs and how he spent his final years of life in the nearby town of Amboise.
Explore the vineyards of Vouvray, near Villandry, for an optional tasting, and discover why this region is known for its aged chenin blanc wines.
Complete your cycling journey in the township of Angers, with its history dating back centuries, and buildings to suit.
This trip covers quite some distance, with cycling for up to a maximum of 60 kilometres a day on varied terrain with a few hills. As well as obviously the ability to confidently ride a bike, in reality you only require a reasonable level of fitness to participate.
On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
There’s the possibility of a few hiccups along the way – a puncture here and there – but there’s no doubt this is an incredibly rewarding adventure.
You'll be spending your nights in hotels all the way, ranging from comfortable to basic level, but they'll always be authentic and a great opportunity to interact with the locals and fellow travellers.
The weather in this region can be varied depending on the season. Be prepared to get sweaty and for the occasional rainstorm, which may require a change of plans.
If you feel like doing all the riding but with less effort we have the option of hiring an electric bike (e-bike) on this trip.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle the Loire Valley trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement is available on this trip, please ask your booking agent for more information.
2. Bicycle hire is included in your trip price. Please advise your height at time of booking so as we can organise a suitable sized bike.
3. An e-bike option (at additional cost) may be available on this trip. We have limited numbers of these bikes available and they are an 'on request' basis only. A request does not guarantee an e-bike, only a confirmed bookiing. Please ask your agent for more details at the time of booking.
4. Bike helmets are compulsory on this trip. We are unable to hire bike helmets locally so please ensure you bring your own bike helmet from home.
5. On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group, and another that drives the support vehicle (acting as a back marker where needed). Where the vehicle cannot travel directly with the cyclists (e.g. a cyclists-only path) your leader will assign a person from the group to act as a back marker.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information