Cornwall is a region full of endless natural beauty, quaint villages, and cultural attractions so it's no wonder thousands flock to its coastlines and countrysides every year from all over the UK. Thankfully, there are several easy ways you can get to Cornwall.
Flying to Cornwall
The quickest option when travelling to Cornwall is to fly into Cornwall Airport in Newquay. With flights arriving at all times of the day from various destinations in the UK including London, Glasgow, Birmingham, and Manchester, flying is very convenient and time-efficient, especially with up to 10 different airlines offering services to and from Cornwall. Once you've landed at Cornwall Airport, you can then either take public transport to your final destination in Cornwall or hire a car from one of 5 car rental companies located at the airport.
Driving to Cornwall
Another popular option for travelling to Cornwall is to drive, however, this option really only makes sense if you're coming from a destination that's either already in England or closer to Cornwall such as Wales. If you did want to drive from somewhere else in the UK like Scotland, it would take you 8+ hours which is okay if you fancy a road trip. The major motorways leading into Cornwall are all easy to navigate with large signs and bold lettering directing you where to go. They're also well maintained and aren't often packed with traffic so you shouldn't come into much trouble on your way to Cornwall. Driving to Cornwall is also a great way to see as much of this region's beautiful natural landscape as possible so while the drive might be long, you'll have amazing views to look at.
Catching public transport to Cornwall
One of the cheapest ways to get to Cornwall is to catch public transport in the form of a bus or via the rail network, however, catching public transportation is the longest method of travel. Catching a train is widely regarded as being a more comfortable and efficient form of travel, especially if you're travelling long distances. Luckily, catching a train to Cornwall is relatively easy with several providers offering routes to the region from popular destinations all over the UK, stopping at a number of stations around Cornwall including Penzance, Truro, Bodmin Parkway, and Newquay. If you're looking for a cheaper ticket, try travelling in the off-season or booking your tickets well in advance, however, tickets can cost as little as £20 or upwards of £200 depending on where in the UK you're travelling from.
Travelling to Cornwall via bus is also an option however it's less reliable and takes longer than catching a train. You'll also likely have stops along the way when you're travelling a long distance by bus as some service providers don't offer direct routes to Cornwall. You can expect bus tickets to cost upwards of £40+, again depending on where in the UK you're travelling from.
How long does it take to get to Cornwall?
How long it takes to get to Cornwall depends on where you're travelling from and what mode of transportation you're using. Below is how long it will take you to travel to Cornwall from various popular destinations in the UK via different transportation methods.
Flying to Cornwall:
- Flying from Birmingham to Cornwall will take you 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Flying from Glasgow to Cornwall will take you 1 hour and 35 minutes.
- Flying from Edinburgh to Cornwall will take you 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- Flying from Manchester to Cornwall will take you 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Driving to Cornwall:
- Driving from Birmingham to Cornwall will take you 3 hours and 40 minutes.
- Driving from Glasgow to Cornwall will take you 8 hours and 20 minutes.
- Driving from Edinburgh to Cornwall will take you 8 hours and 15 minutes.
- Driving from Manchester to Cornwall will take you 5 hours.
- Driving from Bristol to Cornwall will take you 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Catching a bus to Cornwall:
- Catching a bus from Birmingham to Cornwall will take you 6 hours.
- Catching a bus from Glasgow to Cornwall will take you 15 hours and 20 minutes.
- Catching a bus from Edinburgh to Cornwall will take you 9 hours and 40 minutes.
- Catching a bus from Manchester to Cornwall will take you 8 hours.
- Catching a bus from Bristol to Cornwall will take you 4 hours and 40 minutes.