Travel from Hanoi to Sapa and back on this Vietnam adventure
Northwest Vietnam is a captivating mix of dramatic mountainscapes, crisp fresh air and colourfully-clothed hilltribes. Set on the slopes of a beautiful emerald green valley, Sapa is the heart of this unique piece of Vietnam. Travel to this peaceful land and meet resplendently dressed ethnic minorities at the local market, visit neighbouring villages and hike through iridescent rice terraces, witnessing how the current of life has bubbled along here for centuries. This five-day trekking adventure is full of opportunities to be immersed in traditional hilltribe culture and cuisine, while relishing the striking landscapes of Sapa and its surrounds.
Treat yourself with up to 30% off* our trips for a limited time only!Terms & Conditions
A traditional homestay is the perfect way to access remote parts of this region and get a real glimpse of Vietnamese life, not to mention the beauty of a home cooked local meal after a day of hiking
Hike through the rolling rice terraces, waterfalls, mountains and lush green hills of Sapa and you’ll quickly realise why this has become an iconic image of Vietnam
Meet a community of hill-tribe people who have been in Vietnam for over three centuries. Having emigrated from China, the H'mong settled in Cat Cat Village and invite you to learn about their rich culture
An included overnight sleeper train through northern Vietnam is a unique experience. This is a great way to rub shoulders with the locals and to squeeze a bit of local knowledge out of them. Local guides will take you to the train in Hanoi, and Sapa local guides will meet you at the other end
This Short Break Adventure is a ‘join in’ group departure, which means for some portions of this trip, such as at the homestay, you may join-in with other travellers who have booked on a different style of trip, or through other companies.
With the flexibility of frequent departures there is a chance you may end up travelling solo on this trip. You will always have a local guide and all included activities will remain the same.
We cover a lot of distance on this trip, including on overnight trains. Accommodation and amenities are shared and basic, but the experience of rubbing shoulders with the locals makes it all worthwhile. For more about what this experience is like, see our blog post here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/what-to-expect-on-an-overnight.
This trip includes one night in simple homestay accommodation, there are few better ways to understand a country and its people. You will sleep on mattresses on the floor in a mixed-gender dormitory style.
This trip includes a moderate level of hiking in the hills for 3 days of this trip, ranging from 3 to 6 hours. Although this hiking is possible for most travellers, a good level of fitness will help increase your enjoyment of this experience.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Sapa Adventure trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts with a welcome meeting at 6 pm - 6.30 pm on Day 1 in Hanoi. This trip ends on Day 5 and you are free to leave at any time.
2. You will be picked up on Day 1 from the Joining Point Hotel listed in the Essential Trip Information for this itinerary. Pick-up will take place between 6.00 pm-6.30 pm in the hotel foyer.
3. If you require to pick up from another hotel located in Hanoi's Old Quarter, please inform your booking agent at least 14 days prior to departure.
4. Your adventure ends upon arrival at Hanoi train station in the early morning (around 5 am). If you would like to stay a little longer in Vietnam, Intrepid can book additional nights for you (if you wish to have the room available on your arrival, you may need to book the night before as check-in time is usually midday). Please note that it's not possible to organize a transfer from the train station, so please make your own way to your hotel or the airport.
5. Please note this trip is operated by one of our local partners, based in Vietnam.
6.Please provide your full name exactly as per passport at the time of booking (including any middle names listed on your passport) for train and flight tickets. Fees may apply for amendments to details within 45 days of departure, and in some cases you will be required to cover the cost of issuing new tickets.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information