Trek wild terrain and be welcomed into tiny mountain villages
Sacred Tibetan culture permeates every inch of this 15-day Expedition, seemingly touching everything in its path. Venture deep into Tamang hinterland as you follow the quiet Tamang Heritage Trail (restricted until 2004) and explore the wilds of Langtang National Park on an unforgettable trekking adventure. Discover surprisingly verdant midlands and stay in villages to immerse yourself in Tamang culture and connect with locals. All this, and we haven’t even mentioned the soaring views of Manaslu Massif, Ganesh, Langtang and Jugal Himal. This trek is perfect for the adventurous and active traveller looking for something different that lies well off the tourist trail.
Due to the nature of trekking in Nepal, please be aware that this trip will operate on an amended itinerary in the event of high-risk weather conditions.
Treat yourself with up to 30% off* our trips for a limited time only!Terms & Conditions
Discover rhododendrons forest filled with monkeys, stunning ice-capped peaks, plateaued grasslands and epic mountains in Nepal’s little-seen Tamang hinterland.
This trek follows trails that run through villages and local communities, instead of teahouses built for tourists, so you’ll gain real insight into life in these remote areas.
An overnight homestay with a family in Briddim allows you to share stories, experience some traditional home cooking and sleep overnight in a comfortable wooden home.
Hike to a 100-year-old monastery in the village of Gatlang then head out to find Parvati Kunda, a sacred lake that is revered for its apparent powers of fertility.
Learn about the Himalaya from your experienced local crew, and hike easier in the knowledge that we take the safety and ethical treatment of trekking guides seriously.
We can’t overstate how important it is to have a high level of fitness to tackle this trek. You’ll be moving for up to 8 hours a day, at altitudes over 4000 metres. Training and preparation is an absolute must. Our training guide is a good start: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/trekking-training-guide-tips/
No matter how fit you are, altitude sickness can still affect you. Our leaders are trained to spot he symptoms, but it is very important that you make yourself aware of the cause and effects of travelling at altitude, monitor your health and seek assistance accordingly. You can find our guide here https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/altitude-sickness.
On this trek you’ll be stepping off the typical tourist trail and into the Tamang hinterlands. This trip is ideal for those looking to experience something unique, where you won’t be surrounded by many other people.
You’ll be rewarded with hot showers and running water in Gatlang, Thuman, Briddim and Syabrubesi. In other places you’ll use a simple bucket shower. Most of the toilets are in local squat style and shared.
Due to the nature of outdoor travel, please be aware that this trip will operate on an amended itinerary in high risk weather conditions.
If you are looking for a trek on a more established route, check out our Everest Base Camp (code HNXE) or Annapurna Explorer (code HNXR) treks on our website.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Tamang Heritage & Langtang Valley Trek trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip begins with a welcome meeting at 2 pm on Day 1.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement will only be included on Days 1,14 (Hotel) and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. Please bring TWO passport sized photographs for your trekking permit to the welcome meeting on Day 1.
4. Due to the demands of travelling at high altitudes a Passenger Self Assessment Form is required for this trip. The form can be obtained through your booking agent. The form will confirm your self-assessed ability to trek on hilly terrain for anywhere between 2–7 hours per day.
5. Please be aware that in the event of an emergency evacuation, Intrepid does not have control over which helicopter service may be used. Some helicopters are not in regular use with Intrepid and have not passed our internal safety auditing.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information