Enter the extraordinary landscape of the Kimberley, Australia's wildest region
A region of astounding natural beauty and great spiritual significance, Western Australia's Kimberley region is Australia untamed. And while the roads here can be rough and distances between attractions far, that doesn't mean you need to put aside weeks to travel here. This 5-day inland adventure takes in several of the Kimberley's highlight attractions, plus a whole host of lesser-known favourites. Weave through the boulders and chasms of the Bungle Bungles, spot crocodiles on a wildlife cruise through Geikie Gorge, encounter Dreamtime stories in the Mimbi Caves and learn the legend of Jandamarra on a tour of Tunnel Creek.
Marvel at the Bungle Bungles, unique orange and black-striped 'beehive' formations that are more than 20 million years old.
Take a guided tour of Mimbi Caves, one of Western Australia's largest cave systems, with a local Gooniyandi guide.
Join a National Park Ranger on a guided cruise through majestic Geikie Gorge which is home to an incredible array of wildlife.
See the old gold rush town of Halls Creek and The China Wall, a naturally-formed white quartz wall which rises up to six metres above the landscape.
Cool off in a waterhole at Cathedral Gorge surrounded by birdsong and the towering red rock walls of the gorge.
This trip is operated and run by our trusted partner, Kimberley Wild Expeditions. You will be travelling with a mixture of both Kimberley Wild Expeditions customers and Intrepid customers. Intrepid works closely with Kimberley Wild Expeditions to ensure that all of our customers enjoy their time away.
This is a camping trip for those who are looking for the basics. Simple facilities and lack of emphasis on creature comforts make this an authentic experience of the Australian outback.
On some days of the trip, you’ll spend several hours driving through very sparse areas of Australia. Sit back and enjoy landscapes that you would miss in any other form of travel. Extra space can be tight, and conditions may feel a little cramped. Think of it as a great way to get to know your fellow travellers. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie.
Our leaders are the classic do-it-all Aussie – they know the best spots to watch the sunset, can drive you to your next destination, take you on a guided hike or even whip up dinner for the group on some trips. While they won’t always do all these jobs on every trip, be aware they will be juggling many things on your tour and may have less time to spend with you. They will always be working hard to ensure you and your group have a fantastic time exploring Australia.
This itinerary involves some clambering over rocks, wading in water by torchlight, walking on rocky creek beds and ascending/descending into gorges. A reasonable level of fitness and being sure on your feet is necessary to participate.
PLEASE NOTE: Due to COVID-19 restrictions and related seasonal closures, some elements of this itinerary may not be available at time of travel. In particular all First Nations communities are currently closed to travellers. This may result in substitute activities and/or rerouting as required. The situation is evolving daily, but please be prepared for possible changes to your Kimberley adventure if necessary.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Broome to the Bungle Bungles trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts in Broome with a pick-up at 6:30am on day 1 and finishes around 7:00pm on the last day. We recommend you arrive a day prior to the trip's departure date and onward travel should not be booked until the following day.
2. A Single Supplement is not available on this trip. As a single traveller you will have a tent to yourself on camping nights. In the remote Bungle Bungles Safari Camp (nights 2 & 3) you will be paired up with another single traveller of the same gender.
3. Travellers can carry a maximum of 15kg. It is essential you bring only one small to medium soft-sided bag plus a day pack. We are not able to carry hard / externally framed suitcases
4. This trip is available in Basix and Original styles. Basix accommodation is a combination of swags with pop-up tents, and permanent tents with basic beds. Please bring your own sleeping bag. For the Original version please look for trip code PKBB-O.
5. This trip is operated by our trusted partners Kimberley Wild.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information