As the world’s largest travel B Corp, we hold ourselves to high standards when it comes to balancing purpose and profit, and we’re transparent about sharing our progress. So how did we do last year? The results are in.
In 2022 we got back to doing what we do best: creating positive change through the joy of travel. With Intrepid’s 2022 Integrated Annual Report, we’re lifting the lid on what it takes to be a truly purpose-led business, as well as identifying areas where we can improve.
Here are 22 ways we made our small group trips and business practices even better in 2022.
Doing good for people
1. As travel is back for good, we rebuilt our team across the globe, welcoming over 550 new staff members to the Intrepid team.
2. 145,795 travellers explored the world with us in 2022.
3. Customers told us our trips were better than ever, resulting in our best ever customer engagement result and a Net Promoter Score (NPS) of 75.
Doing good on our trips
4. We introduced at least one plant-based meal on all of our Real Food Adventures.
5. We formed a new partnership with fellow B Corp and slow travel provider Byway to help our travellers travel to and from their trip in Europe flight-free.
6. We re-opened operations in 86 additional countries, taking the total number to 112 – including Japan, Botswana and Vietnam.
7. We launched 14 new Premium trips in Asia, the Americas and Europe.
8. We relaunched our Women’s Expeditions in Morocco, India and Jordan.
9. We grew the number of First Nations experiences on our trips to over 100.
10. We launched our inaugural Antarctica season aboard the Ocean Endeavour, recruiting 65 specialist expedition guides. We also introduced several purpose and sustainability initiatives such as the Giants of Antarctica partnership with WWF-Australia.
11. We ran our first ever expedition to Bosnia and Herzegovina in a partnership with USAID Turizam and the Global Travel and Tourism Resilience Council, aimed at regenerating the Balkan country through sustainable tourism.
12. We launched a range of new international walking trails including the Trans Bhutan Trail (Bhutan), Great Inca Road (Peru) and the Via Dinarica (Balkans) to meet growing demand for nature-based tourism.
13. We welcomed three new businesses into our group, expanding trip offering in the United States and Australia.
14. We started calculating trip-based emissions to gain a stronger understanding of the different components contributing to our overall emissions, such as accommodation, modes of transport, food provided during trips, activities and waste.
Doing good for the world
15. In 2022, we won B Corp’s Best for the World™ award for the first time ever. This is an honour given to B Corps with B Impact Assessment Scores in the top 5% of a given category – in our case, governance. This means that our overall mission, ethics, accountability and transparency are embedded in every aspect of our business.
16. We received our second Fast Company Most Innovative Company award for our leadership in global vaccine equity, intersectional sustainability and climate-conscious travel.
17. We partnered with PwC Indigenous Consulting (PIC) and Welcome to Country to roll out the National Indigenous Tourism Mentoring Program (NITMP) to First Nations tourism businesses in Australia.
18. In 2022, we raised over $690,000 through the Intrepid Foundation, the not-for-profit arm of Intrepid Travel. Our 7000+ donors helped us support 20 partners including Education for All in Morocco, Blue Carbon Lab in Australia and Forget Me Not in Nepal. We also celebrated the foundation’s 20th anniversary and over two decades of doing good.
19. Of the fundraisers our community supported last year, our most successful was the Blue Dragon Children’s Foundation walk that raised $165,000. Notably, our Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal in March 2022 also raised more than $150,000 from our generous community.
20. Recognising we’re not just in a climate emergency but a biodiversity emergency, we signed the World Travel and Tourism Council’s Vision for Nature Positive Travel & Tourism.
21. We introduced an improved recycling waste management program across our offices in Thailand, India and Nepal.
22. We joined SBTi’s Net Zero Standard and Business Ambition for 1.5 future initiative, formalising our long-term decarbonisation commitment to reach net zero by 2050.
Want to learn more about Intrepid’s mission to change travel for good? Read our latest Annual Report.