Deep in the heart of Borneo’s Sabah lies a land so wild, rugged and isolated that its beauty has been seen by few people. Welcome to the glorious Maliau Basin, a circle of lush forest and waterways rimmed on all sides by steep cliffs and embankments. Our 8-day trekking expedition takes you into this protected, restricted-access area to discover wild orchids and cascading waterfalls set in forest so green it seems to glow. With a homestay in a historic village and a well-earned night in a hotel bookending a three-and-a-half-day trek, this trip is for people seeking active adventure, natural splendour and a personal challenge.
Dates and availability
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 2,3,4,5, and Day 6 where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. The trek in the Maliau Basin will be very challenging, even for experienced trekkers. Sections involve scaling vertical ladders and scrambling for hours at a time. You will need a high level of fitness and mental fortitude in order to participate in this adventure
3. It is a condition of entry to the Maliau Basin Conservation Area that all hikers have insurance cover that includes emergency helicopter evacuation. You must take proof of this with you on the trip.
4. Drone usage is not permitted, and DLSR must be declared on arrival at the Conservation Area and a permit acquired for use (100 MYR per camera).
5. No styrofoam, polystyrene containers or canned foods are permitted in the Conservation
Area and all litter must be brought out.
6. Malaria can be a risk in this area. Ensure you take precautions against mosquitoes.