The safety of our passengers, leaders and operators is a major priority of Intrepid.

Read Intrepid’s Safety Policy

With this in mind, we monitor world events very closely. Intrepid makes operations decisions based on informed advice from a number of sources.

1. The Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT)

For any Intrepid-operated trip, if DFAT’s advisory is at ‘Do Not Travel’ then Intrepid will either cancel the trip or reroute the itinerary to avoid the areas concerned.


2. Staff on the ground

With over 400 leaders on the ground in operational destinations and subsidiary companies in our main hub cities, Intrepid has access to an up-to-the-minute flow of information regarding the mood and feeling within the countries we work in. We are also in regular contact with the various operators we use. Their in-depth knowledge and understanding of their various areas is vital.

3. Other government travel advisories

Most countries’ governments provide their own travel advice. See below for links to some of the larger ones:

Current updates

Recent heavy rains in Peru have resulted in a landslide on the Inca Trek route on Thursday 23rd January, which has made trekking unsafe and closed off one of the campsites. The Peruvian Minister of Culture has declared that the route will remain closed until further notice. 


No Intrepid groups were in the area of the landslide, and those that were on the trek are leaving the route and returning to the closest town.  


Until the route re-opens, all trekking groups will be moved to our alternative trek, the Quarry Trek. Our ground operations teams in Lima and Cusco are working with the authorities and as soon as they advise the Inca Trek route is safe to operate again, we will continue the tours as planned.  Machu Picchu itself remains open and we are still be able to visit the site as planned. Passengers who had booked the train option to Machu Picchu, will not be effected by these changes. 


Should you have any questions, please contact your booking agent or speak to your Tour Leader.

The air quality in Bangkok has been reported as above the safe level of PM 2.5 for the past week. Intrepid groups that are currently travelling in Bangkok will be assisted in obtaining dust masks. Intrepid has not cancelled or changed any current or future trips, however we will be closely monitoring the situation, which is largely dependent on local weather conditions. If you suffer from asthma or other illnesses that could be triggered by the current conditions, please consider purchasing a dust mask of N95 rating.

There have been reports of a pneumonia outbreak in China originating in Wuhan city. It has been confirmed that this new type of cronovirus is human-to-human transmittable. Similar cases have been reported in main cities like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. We don't have any trips running in China until 12 Feb and we are monitoring the situation very closely. Preventative measures will be taken on our trips according to government advice, including handing out N95 masks, avoiding large public gatherings where possible, etc. We will update with more information once there are new developments regarding the outbreak.


Following the death of Iranian General Qassem Soleimani in a US strike in Baghdad on 3 January, Iran fired missiles against two military bases in Iraq, containing US personnel on 8 January. The security situation in Iran and the region remains tense. 

DFAT has not increased their travel advice level, and currently remains at "reconsider your need to travel" for Iran. 

Intrepid do not currently have any travellers in Iran. Our next group in the country is Iran: Women's Expedition (HPSF200118) on 18th January. At this stage there are no planned changes to the itinerary of this trip and all upcoming trips to Iran will operate as normal. We will continue to monitor foreign travel advice, the situation on the ground and all groups in Iran will continue to avoid large public gatherings. 

Travellers who wish to cancel their upcoming trip to Iran may change to another Intrepid trip without cancellation or change fees. If you have already applied for your Authorisation Code for your visa application, a non-refundable $100 USD service fee will apply. Please contact your booking agent should you wish to change your travel plans. 

There have been hundreds of large bushfires burning throughout the country. The state of Victoria has been declared a state of disaster, there is an ongoing state of emergency in NSW, and there have been thousands of people evacuated en-masse. Half of Kangaroo Island has been burnt, there are closed roads and many areas blocked off due to the fires.


A large fire has burnt through approximately a half of the island and the national park is closed, the fire continues to burn at this stage and much property has been lost. We have cancelled all departures until Saturday 18th of January 2020. We are offering date changes without fees for all customers departing on Kangaroo Island trips up until Saturday 18th of January and anticipate there may be further cancellations to come. We will continue to provide updates as often as possible. We are currently in the process of contacting all agents and customers. Please contact your booking agent if you have not heard from us and require further information.


The PA9191229 was operated for the first 4 days of the trip and then had to be turned back to Perth, unable to continue.  

We have made the decision to cancel the following departure: Perth to Adelaide Overland PA9200105 due to the closure of the Eyre Highway. We are hopeful the highway will be clear within the next 5 days and we will be able to continue running departures


The M1 between Sydney and noosa, which is the main road that we use to travel on the East Coast is currently unaffected and all fires that are close are being monitored. Roads in and out of Dorrigo National Park are also currently open and unaffected.

We are not cancelling or rerouting any departures at this stage but will continue to monitor the situation closely.


All trips unaffected at this stage 


All trips unaffected at this stage 


All trips unaffected at this stage 


Some parts of Australia are also experiencing poor air quality due to the smoke from the fires, we recommend checking with your doctor before travel if you suffer any breathing problems or asthma.

If you have any questions please contact your booking agent.