Freedom and affordability.
Our Basix style trips are designed for travellers who prioritise freedom and affordability over frills and inclusions. By working plenty of free time into the itineraries and keeping many of the activities optional, we aim to make travel possible for those on even the most slender of budgets.
What is 'Basix' style travel?
Here are some examples of accommodation you can expect:
- Toulou villages, China - It’s not every night you get to slumber in a UNESCO World Heritage site, but that’s what happens on our village stay with the ethnic Hakka people.
- Pousada, Brazil - Swing the day away in a hammock or potter about the tropical backyard of a homely guesthouse in Ilha Grande.
- Yacht, Italy - Take in the dazzling coastline of Italy’s Amalfi Coast the best way how – by boat. Head ashore at points of interest, then drift off to sleep to the ocean’s ebb and flow.
- Hard-sleeper trains, India - Make the most of your daylight hours by travelling long distances while asleep. Cosy but clean, India’s hard-sleeper trains are a pleasant surprise.
- Ferry, Jordan - Hop aboard a ferry and keep company with locals on a journey across the Gulf of Aqaba to the Sinai.
- Overland vehicle, Africa - Africa’s famous dirt roads, epic potholes and river-crossings? Not a problem with a fleet of vehicles custom-built for the task.
Popular Basix trips
The classic real-life adventure.
Featuring a mix of free time and added inclusions, Original-style trips offer a balance of both independent exploration and included excursions designed to really get you under the skin of a destination.
What is 'Original' style travel?
- Yurts, Kyrgyzstan - Snuggle in for a snooze with a difference during a yurt stay in the Kyrgyzstani countryside. Breakfast provided, blankets supplied, amenities… outside.
- Permanent tents, Australia - Enjoy nights under canvas in the Aussie Outback – minus the hassles of battling tent poles and hammering in pegs – in our permanently sited, hard-floor campsites.
- Boutique hotel, Peru - Prepare for an excursion into the Sacred Valley at Hotel Warari: a full-service lodging situated in Cuzco’s historic centre.
- Bus, USA - Plug in the earphones, push back the seat and watch Canada’s glorious wilderness roll past from the vantage point of a bus’s big window.
- Wheels, Thailand - From tuk-tuks to songthaews to sammlaws, it’s anything goes in Thailand. If it beeps, bleeps and blares, it’s all part of the fun.
- Feet, France - Some boots are made for walking – and some regions are too. When it comes to the French and Swiss Alps, the original mode of movement is still the best.
Popular Original trips
Discover travel's softer side.
While some travellers get a real kick out of using local transport and forsaking a few home luxuries while on the road, others prefer their journey with some added inclusions and creature comforts. And that’s why we created our Comfort trips.
What is 'comfort' style travel?
- Africa: Safari Lodge in Tarangire National Park – Whoever said you have to rough it in the wilds? Wine, dine and recline in style, right in the centre of one of Tanzania’s most prized national parks.
- Asia: Indian Heritage Property – Become acquainted with the India of old on overnight stays in quaint and charming heritage properties; a welcome refuge in a country renowned for its intensity.
- Europe: French Chateau – Take in enchanting views across the Burgundy countryside from the comfort of an elegant 17th-century chateau, complete with eight hectares of preserved parklands. View all Comfort trips to Europe
- North America: Alaskan Lodge - Cosy down in rustic seclusion amid roasting log fires, warm woolen blankets and hearty meals in the natural beauty of the haunting Alaskan woodlands.
- Latin America: Costa Rican Jungle Lodge – Get back to nature in style at a jungle escape that will see you bedding down in a palm-thatched bungalow offering 360-degree views of the surrounding rainforest. View all Comfort trips to Latin America
- Middle East: Jordan Desert Camp - Be treated to a night of traditional Bedouin hospitality and unrivalled stargazing on an overnight stay in the immense desert landscape of Wadi Rum.
- Traghetto in Italy – Experience Venice’s atmospheric canals and landmark architecture the best way how – from the backseat of a traghetto.
- Houseboat in the Okavango Delta – Hop aboard a houseboat for two days of winding, and unwinding, through Botswana’s wildlife-rich waterways.
- Ferry in the USA – See the breathtaking scenery of Alaska and Canada's Maritimes from the water.
- Shinkansen in Japan – Speed through Japan’s serene landscapes and mega metropolises by bullet train – high-velocity travel has rarely been so classy.
- Flights in Argentina – Trade the bitumen for the tarmac and make the most of your time in Argentina by taking to the air for longer distance travel.
- Nile Felucca Cruise – Watch local life unfold on the banks of the world’s most famous river – all from the comfort of your own private felucca.
Popular Comfort trips