Once the largest empire on the European continent, Lithuania’s history reads at time like a Game of Thrones episode and presents much for those looking to discover a new side of Europe. With architectural splendours spanning the gothic to renaissance to baroque to bohemian, a hearty national cuisine, and – would you believe it – a stunning stretch of sand dune coast, Lithuania bewitches all those who visit.
Our Lithuania trips score an average of 4.54 out of 5 based on 57 reviews in the last year.
I learned so much about the history, geography, art, and more of the Baltics and Poland on this trip. It was a busy, active experience, sobering in some ways, I will always cherish.
Review submitted 15 Jul 2018
The Baltic Experience was a great way to see the Baltic states and learn more about their history with a tour leader who had local knowledge. The trip was well organised with great variety and plenty of free time to see the sights in each country. Would recommend this trip to anyone wanting a taste of the Baltic’s!
Review submitted 13 Jul 2018
Stroll along the rolling sand dunes of Curonian Spit National Park
It's customary when dining in restaurants to round the bill up to the nearest euros.
Internet access in Lithuania is excellent. Free wireless zones, as well as internet cafes, can be found all over the country.
Lithuania has excellent mobile phone coverage. Ensure you have global roaming activated with your carrier if you wish to use your phone.
Latvia has western-style flushable toilets. Keep loose change handy to pay for public toilets.
Coffee = 1.50 EUR
Domestic beer = 1.75 EUR
Meal at an inexpensive restaurant = 4.35 EUR
Meal at a mid-range restaurant = 20 - 25 EUR
Yes, tap water is considered safe to drink.
Yes, credit cards are widely accepted.
There’s good access to ATMs in nearly all towns and cities.
Absolutely. All passengers travelling with Intrepid are required to purchase travel insurance before the start of your trip. Your travel insurance details will be recorded by your leader on the first day of the trip. Due to the varying nature, availability and cost of health care around the world, travel insurance is very much an essential and necessary part of every journey.
For more information on insurance, please go to: Travel Insurance
Please note these dates are for 2017. For a current list of public holidays in Lithuania go to: http://www.worldtravelguide.net/lithuania/public-holidays
Intrepid is committed to travelling in a way that is respectful of local people, their culture, local economies and the environment. It's important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be appropriate in another. Please keep this in mind while travelling.
1. Be considerate of Lithuania’s customs, traditions, religion and culture. It’s important to remember that what may be acceptable behaviour, dress and language in your own country, may not be in another.
2. Be cautious when mentioning Lithuania in the context of the former USSR. Even an inferred praising of Soviet practices is not likely to be appreciated.
3. The tap water is considered safe to drink, so for environmental reasons try to avoid buying bottled water. Fill and refill a reusable water bottle or canteen instead.
4. Always dispose of litter thoughtfully, including cigarette butts.
5. Learn some local language and don't be afraid to use it – simple greetings will help break the ice.
6. Shop for locally-made products. Supporting local artisans helps keep traditional crafts alive and supports the local community.
7. Refrain from supporting businesses that exploit or abuse endangered animals.
8. Please ask and receive permission before taking photos of people, including children.