Avoid the crowds and spot more wildlife at Yellowstone
See the best of Yellowstone during spring and fall when there are less tourists and local wildlife is more active. Hike to the junction of Hellroaring Creek and the Yellowstone River, traverse the Black Canyon, which runs along the drier and warmer northern boundary of the park, and admire cascading waterfalls. World-class trout waters, great hiking, and abundant wildlife are just some of the hallmarks of this tour which includes camping with views of the Yellowstone River. If you’re interested in early season Yellowstone hiking and camping adventure, this tour is for you.
During spring and fall at Yellowstone, there are less tourists and local wildlife is more active, making this the perfect holiday for nature lovers.
Enjoy a free day to discover Yellowstone your way. Your expert leader is on hand to guide you though nearby trails suitable to group fitness level and interests.
Keep your eyes open along the trail for the chance to spot bison, elk, deer, wolves, coyotes, black bears, grizzly bears, and more.
Fall asleep listening to sound of tumbling waters and soak up the pristine natural surroundings as you spend the night at comfortable camps along the banks of the Yellowstone River.
Enjoy freshly prepared, delicious backcountry dinners prepared by your leader and admire sparkling stars overhead if the weather is clear.
This is a walking trip; a good fitness level will help you enjoying all included walks and activities.
On this tour you will be required to carry a backpack weighting approximately 35-45 lb (15-20).
Yellowstone can get cold at this time of year and snow is not uncommon so be prepared for changeable weather and possibly rainy days. Suitable clothing and appropriate footwear are a must.
On our final day there is no accommodation included so please plan your departure accordingly, or pre-book a post-tour night.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Hiking and Backpacking in Yellowstone trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A completed registration form is required to join these trips. You will not be confirmed for the trip until your form has been received and reviewed. We may ask for a medical release signed by your physician for medical conditions or circumstances which could possibly compromise your safety or the safety of others on this trip – please speak to your agent for further details.
2. Travellers on this particular trip are not required to produce proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.
3. A signed disclaimer (Acknowledgement of Risks Form) is required at the time of booking for this trip – please speak to your agent for further details.
4. To help ensure this trip is right for you, this trip is subject to additional ‘Essential Eligibility Requirements’ – see the ‘Itinerary Disclaimer’ section of the Essential Trip Information for further details.
5.This trip is operated and run by Wildland Trekking, an Intrepid company. You will be travelling with a mixture of both Wildland Trekking customers and Intrepid customers.
6. Please note, pre-trip orientation meeting will take place at 5:00 PM day before trip starts via conference call. Early on the morning of day 1, you will be picked up from Mountain Modern Inn, in Jackson. We recommend you book a pre tour night in that hotel.
7. A single supplement is available. The single supplement applies to all nights of the trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
8. A single tent is provided to all solo travellers at no extra cost.
9.A single tent is available at no charge if you would prefer not to share a tent. Please let your leader know your preference during the Welcome Meeting.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information