Ride in the Victorian High Country and follow the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail on a relaxed 4 day cycling adventure
Is there a better part of Australia to cycle through than the Victorian High Country? Framed by the Victorian Alps and dominated by the nearby Mount Buffalo, this is a region well known for its natural beauty, welcoming people and delicious wine. This cycling trip takes in the best of it at a pace set to enjoy and experience rather than get the heart racing. Kick things off in the well-preserved historic town of Beechworth, then cycle the famous Murray to Mountains Rail Trail through small gold-mining towns like Myrtleford before arriving into the heart of the High Country, Bright. Meander through wine country, enjoy some proper Victorian hospitality at local pubs and rediscover the joy of pedalling through one of the most gorgeous areas in the entire nation.
Cycle the spectacular Murray to Mountains Rail Trail, the best known and loved rail trail in Victoria, sampling the bounty of country Victoria along the way.
Ride along flat, traffic-free paths alongside some of the High Country's most stunning scenery.
Begin your journey in Beechworth, a fascinating insight into the past and home to the Beechworth Bakery, official home of the Ned Kelly pie, and end at the charming Bright in the heart of High Country.
Experience firsthand the famous hospitality of local Victorians as you tackle a trail built specifically to cater to cyclists.
Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Accommodation on the Rail Trail can be booked out months in advance so there may be occasions where we stay in nearby locations to those advertised. Your leader will inform you at the initial group meeting if this is the case on your departure.
Unlike most Intrepid Cycling trips this itinerary does not have a full-time support vehicle constantly following the group. As well as the short cycling distances making it unnecessary no vehicles are allowed to drive along the rail trail itself. Your luggage is always transported for you (by vehicle) between accommodations.
Due to the relatively small distances cycled on this trip, we have a single leader that rides with the group. There may be times when the leader asks one of the group to act as a backmarker.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle the Victorian High Country: Beechworth to Bright trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Bicycles are included on this trip but you are welcome to bring your own bike should you choose. A discount of $AUD100 will apply to those people bringing their own bike - please ask your travel consultant for more details.
2. This trip starts on Day 1 at 4 pm and finishes at 11 am on Day 4 of the trip.
3. To complete this trip it is important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
4. On this trip, we have a single leader that rides with the group.
5. This trip does not have a support vehicle but your luggage is transported for you from accommodation to accommodation each day.
6. Our riding is done mostly on a well-graded and maintained gravel cycle path, so there are no technical cycling skills required.
7. An e-bike option (at additional cost) may be available on this trip. We have limited numbers of these bikes available and they are on an 'on request' basis only. A request does not guarantee an e-bike, only a confirmed booking. Please ask your agent for more details at the time of booking.
8. This trip no longer offers a tour of the Bright Brewery in Day 3 but now includes the Billson's Brewery Tour & tasting paddle (on Day 1)
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information