Explore the wild plains of Kruger National Park and the cosmopolitan streets of Cape Town.
Enjoy an incredible African adventure on this journey from Kruger National Park to the rugged beauty of sophisticated Cape Town. Feel the thrill of spotting one (or more!) of Africa’s Big Five for the first time on a game drive, hear the trumpet of elephants across the plains and learn about the park’s unique ecosystem on a guided walk. Travel to bustling Joburg – a juxtaposing city of mansions and shantytowns – before travelling to the chic streets of Cape Town to learn about the city’s dramatic past. Immerse yourself in the culture, beauty and history of this astonishing region.
For a limited time only take an additional 20% off select trips* - Offer ends soon!Terms & Conditions
Experience a private game reserve after dark in an open top 4x4 vehicle
Try to spot the Big Five in Kruger National Park on two full day game drives
Enjoy traditional South African cuisine while dining under the stars
Relax in the lush environs of Stellenbosch with a glass of wine in hand after a city tour
Take in the beauty of Cape Town's coast while driving along the Cape Peninsula via Cape Point Nature Reserve and the Cape of Good Hope
This is one of our Short Breaks and is slightly different to our group tours. There is no group leader but rather a local guide in Kruger and in Cape Town with the idea being that you maintain a level of independence during down time. You'll most likely travel on a join-in basis, which means you may or may not be joined by others for activities and transportation, depending on demand. In some instances you will be with no other Intrepid travellers.
This itinerary starts in Johannesburg and includes 2 long travel days to and from Greater Kruger National Park.
Our lodge is located within the Greater Kruger Park ecosystem. It’s about a 50 minute drive to Kruger National Park’s Orpen Gate. On this itinerary you will have Game Drives in both the Kruger National Park and neighbouring Private Game Reserves.
The transport to and from Kruger National Park will be in a 13-seater minivan. This is a shuttle service that departs daily. You may be sharing this shuttle ride with other travellers booked on different trips and itineraries to you.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
Regardless of where you stay, power cuts and breaks in hot water are sometimes unavoidable, as in any developing country. In particular, South Africa suffers from load-shedding: rolling blackouts that are engineered specifically to share out available power in the region.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Kruger & Cape Town Short Break by Plane trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip departs between 5.30am and 6:30am on Day 1 so it is essential that you overnight in Johannesburg the day before the tour.
2. You will be picked up between 5.30am and 6.30 am on Day 1 of this itinerary. Our preferred Joining Point Hotel is the Holiday Inn Rosebank and pick up time if 6.00 am. If you require a pick up from another centrally-located hotel or airport hotel in Johannesburg, please advise your booking agent at least 14 days prior to departure. Our local operations team will advise the relevant Hotel reception of the exact pick up time 24 hours prior to pick up.
3. This trip is a combination of Intrepid's Short Break Adventures and you will not be accompanied by a tour leader. You will have local guides at the Lodge in Kruger and in Cape Town for your activities.
4. This is one of our Short Breaks and is slightly different to our group tours. There is no group leader but rather a local guide in Kruger and in Cape Town with the idea being that you maintain a level of independence during down time.
5. This trip includes an internal flight from Johannesburg to Cape Town on Day 6 and the flight will only be confirmed with full payment. Flights are non-refundable and non-changeable.
6. We will be using Mango or Kalula for the internal flight and the maximum checked in luggage is 20 kilos and one piece of hand baggage weighing up to 7kg per person.
7. Unfortunately the Table Mountain cable car, facilities and shops will be closed due to maintenance from 8th July 8 to 18th August 2019. Access to the top of Table Mountain will still be available by the steep hiking trail. If you wish to hike to the top of the mountain we recommend using a local guide. Your Leader or hotel reception will be able to assist with arrangements.
8. Please note this is a join in adventure and you will travel with a group of like minded Intrepid and non Intrepid passengers during transfers and game drives.
9. Flights will only be booked once full payment is received. At that time any changes or cancellations will incur fees. Flights are non-refundable and non-changeable.
We will be using Mango or Kalula. Maximum checked baggage is 20 kilos.
10. Due to Thornybush Private Reserve safety regulations, children under 6 are not be permitted to participate in the bush walks in this itinerary.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information