Put the brakes on daily life and escape on a South Island lakeside ride from the Alps to the Ocean
If there’s a land made for cycling, this is it. After a visit and short hike in the Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park follow the path of the bright blue waters of Lake Pukaki near Twizel as it flows down from the Southern Alps, twisting through valleys, passing through lakes, and rolling out into the open Pacific Ocean at Oamaru. Jump on the saddle and you’ll flow down descents from forested summits, twist along roads squeezed between peaks and shores, and roll along backroads, side trails and the official Alps 2 Ocean trail. With an expert leader directing the pack, the only directions you’ll need is when to detour to the best trails and special stops only the locals know. With memorable accommodation and tastes of New Zealand along the way, this is a real gateway to some seriously great outdoors.
Travel local with peace of mind - $99 deposits, the ability to change your dates or to cancel up until 24 hours before departure.Terms & Conditions
The South Island scenery will take your breath away in more ways than one – enjoy a short hike in Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park then cycle mostly traffic-free trails from the majestic Southern Alps to the shores of the Pacific Ocean.
Taste some of New Zealand’s best produce, from trying lake-caught salmon to sampling drops from the country’s newest wine region before the rest of the world discovers them.
Experience firsthand the famous hospitality of the locals, with memorable stays from lakeside lodges to unique, historic huts.
Experience the best New Zealand scenery has to offer – from peaks and gorges to turquoise-coloured lakes – with nothing but fresh air separating you.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’. For Cycling trips these changes are usually around finding even better roads to ride on, which can alter the distance/time we spend riding on a day to day basis, but can sometimes even extend to accommodation or included activities if needed.
Accommodation on the Alps to Ocean Trail can be booked out months in advance so there may be occasions where we stay in locations nearby to those advertised. Your leader will inform you at the initial group meeting if this is the case on your departure.
Unlike many Intrepid Cycling trips this itinerary does not have a full-time support vehicle constantly following the group. As well as the short cycling distances making it unnecessary, no vehicles are allowed to drive along the vehicle-free trails we use. Your luggage is always transported for you (by vehicle) between accommodations.
Due to the relatively small distances cycled on this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group. There may be times when the leader asks one of the group to act as a back marker.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Cycle New Zealand: Alps to Ocean trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts at 8am in Christchurch and finishes on arrival into Oamaru on Day 6 (approx 1pm)
2. Please note we do not currently offer pre/post trip accommodation in Oamaru .
3. To complete this trip it is important that you are both confident and competent in riding a bicycle.
4. On this trip we have a single leader that rides with the group.
5. This trip includes a support vehicle and your luggage is transported for you from accommodation to accommodation each day.
6. Our riding is done mostly on a well graded and maintained gravel cycle path, however there are a few short but rough sections of trail. We recommend those not confident descending on this terrain should walk these sections or use the support vehicle.
7. As accommodation on this trip is multi-share, single travellers will share a room with other travellers of the same gender. If you’d prefer not to share, a single room supplement (excluding night 5 at Tokhari) is available at an additional charge. Please ask your travel consultant for more details.
8. An e-bike option (at additional cost) may be available on this trip. We have limited numbers of these bikes available and they are on an 'on request' basis only. A request does not guarantee an e-bike, only a confirmed booking. Please ask your agent for more details at the time of booking.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information