Diversity, equity and inclusion
At Intrepid Travel, we will:
- Build an inclusive global brand, representative of the diversity of all travellers.
- Amplify the voices of Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC) across all our marketing channels, becoming a brand that is anti-racist and anti-oppression.
- Put actions behind words, with clear ethical marketing guidelines that include clear measurement. We will report on our progress in our annual report.
How we’ll do it
- We will increase BIPOC, LGBTQIA+ and plus-size imagery and voices in our storytelling and content, both in front of the lens and behind it.
- We will create a framework for working with creators, creatives, bloggers and influencers to market Intrepid through more diverse perspectives.
- Our partnerships will be about meeting the BIPOC, LBGQTIA+ and plus-size community where they are – allocating budget, time and resources to partner with people, brands, events and communities they already trust.
How we’ll measure it
Creating allyship and improving representation of BIPOC travellers
- 50% (at least) of all content creators hired by Intrepid must identify as BIPOC creators
- 5 global partnerships per year with BIPOC-owned travel organisations
- 50% (at least) of blog stories must be voiced by BIPOC travellers
- 25% (at least) of Intrepid's sponsorship budget annually goes to BIPOC events + community initiatives
- 20% (at least) of content creators hired (including talent, influencers, bloggers, production team) by Intrepid must be from the Black travel community
Creating allyship and improving representation of the plus-size community
- 10% of content creators hired (including talent, influencers, bloggers, production team) by Intrepid must be from the plus-size travel community
- 20 photos of fat travellers will be shared on social media each year
- 5 pieces of evergreen size-inclusive content (authored by plus-size and fat-positive writers) shared two times per year, updated annually
Creating allyship and improving representation of the LGBTQIA+ community
- 10% (at least) of content creators hired (including talent, influencers, bloggers, production team) by Intrepid must be from the LGBTQIA+ travel community
- 5 pieces of evergreen LGBTQIA+ inclusive content (authored by LGBTQIA+ writers) shared two times per year, updated annually
- 10 stories published on The Journal (Intrepid’s blog) each year authored by LGTQIA+ writers (not necessarily about the LGBTQIA+ experience)
Creating allyship and improving representation of the Indigenous community
- 10% of content creators hired (including talent, influencers, bloggers, production team) by Intrepid will be Indigenous creators
- 10 social media posts each year that amplify stories of Indigenous communities
- 5 stories published on the blog centred around truth telling of the impact that colonisation has made on Indigenous people historically and contemporarily
Note: This is a non-exhaustive list that is meant to progress the work while acknowledging there is still a lot of work to be done to represent and empower under-represented communities in travel, as well as all their intersections. Beyond marketing, our product team is also expanding our tours and activities that support BIPOC-owned businesses, and our People team is actioning recommendations to diversify our recruitment process, including mandating BIPOC candidates and use of HBCU and BIPOC community-based job boards.
We’d love your feedback. You can message us at firstname.lastname@example.org.