Intrepid takes the safety of our travellers extremely seriously. We're in constant contact with staff on the ground and our itineraries are designed with safety as the number one priority. While South Africa is generally a safe destination for travellers, there are some issues you should be aware of.
Is South Africa safe for tourists?
Overall, South Africa is a safe country to travel to as long as you remain vigilant. The crime rate is high and incidents including petty theft, armed robberies and carjacking are common. Protests and political demonstrations can also become violent. It's unlikely that travellers will experience violent crime in major tourist areas, but it's possible. Crimes tend to occur in major towns and cities after dark or during planned blackouts known as load-shedding. You should avoid walking at night and use Ubers or hotel shuttles instead.
If you're a solo traveller, a female traveller and/or a person who identifies as LGBTQIA+, you may face extra challenges. Whoever you are, it's important to be extra diligent when travelling through South Africa, to understand the risks that you may face and know how to avoid or deal with them.
Safety tips for travellers in South Africa
No matter where you travel, you should always be prioritising your personal safety. We recommend doing the following while in South Africa:
- Avoid protests and large public gatherings as these can become violent – keep tabs on social media and follow local authorities' advice
- Avoid the Numbi Gate entrance to Kruger National Park
- Don’t travel after dark, especially outside of the major cities
- Don't carry your wallet in your back pocket
- When travelling in a car, ensure doors and windows are locked at all times, only stop at designated areas such as service stations and be extra vigilant at traffic lights
- Travel during daylight and on toll highways where possible
- Use ATMs during the daytime and don’t draw attention to valuables or money – try to withdraw smaller amounts at a time if possible
For more information on dangerous areas and safe travel in South Africa, these government websites may be helpful:
- Australian Department of Foreign Affairs
- British Foreign Office
- Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs
- New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- US State Department
Click to return to South Africa FAQs
Our South Africa tours
Tour through Johannesburg, Maun, Chobe, the Okavango Delta and Victoria Falls on a ten...
Spend 18 days exploring Botswana, South Africa, Zimbabwe with included safari...
Embark on an eight-day Premium adventure from Johannesburg to Chobe National Park, via...
Embark on a 15-day Premium Adventure through Kenya, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana...
Set off on the adventure of a lifetime through Africa on a 31-day Premium journey,...
Join Intrepid for a rollicking nine-day safari adventure through Hwange National Park,...
Crossing the border from Cape Town, South Africa, head towards Windhoek to encounter...
This 14-day Premium journey through southern Africa reveals the best wildlife and...
Embark on an African odyssey visiting South Africa, Eswatini and Lesotho in 22 safari...
Visit Africa and travel through southern Africa's beautiful regions. Visit South Africa...
Explore diverse southern Africa on this nine-day adventure, including Kruger National...
Discover the unique and contrasting lands of Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia and South...