Hit the coastal route to some of southern Africa's hotspots
Embark on an action-packed adventure through some of the most stunning scenery in southern Africa. In 22 days, head from Johannesburg to Cape Town on the spectacular coastal route, with plenty of epic stops along the way. Track down elusive wildlife on game drives in Kruger National Park, relax on golden beaches in Mozambique, visit remote Zulu to learn about tribal culture and mix it up with modern cities. From the savanna of Kruger and the lush wetlands of the St Lucia Estuary to the dramatic ocean vistas and fertile vineyards along the Wild Coast, see the best of southern Africa's blessed natural beauty, joined by a local leader with all the best advice and a group of likeminded adventurers keen to explore.
Go big & see more with up to 25% off* 2023 trips. Grab your spot before it's too late - sale ends 16 February!Terms & Conditions
Go on an epic safari with expert local guides in search of lions, hyenas and more through Kruger National Park – one of the largest game reserves in southern Africa.
Spend a few days however you please on the white-sand beaches of Mozambique’s Ponta Malongane. Snorkel? Sun? Seafood feast? The choice is yours.
Visit the heartlands of the Zulu people and spend the night in a homestay, where you’ll be treated to traditional food and song, plus a meeting with the local healer.
Embark on a half-day guided walk in the mighty Drakensburg Range – one of many spectacular hikes along the Garden Route that you can choose to discover in your free time.
Rise early with your small group to watch wild meerkats wake and warm in the morning sun, before continuing south to Swellendam – South Africa’s third-oldest town.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent, occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/africa/overland
This itinerary includes a homestay in Zululand. Beds can just be a foam mattress on the floor, with clean linen and pillows, and rooms can be up to six-share, of the same gender. Hot water is not available on this night.
As the early bird catches the worm, the early camper sights the animals. There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 8 (Homestay) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This is a combination trip made up of two shorter trips. This means the composition of your group may change in Durban as some group members leave and new ones join you.
3. This trip finishes upon arrival in Cape Town on Day 22. Please do not book any flights until after 8 pm this evening.
4. On occasion, especially during the peak months of May to September and December we are not able to secure campsites within the Kruger National Park. In this instance we will camp at a backpackers outside the park.
5.The minimum age for this trip is 15 at the time of travel. Any travellers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian, or in lieu of a legal guardian, by an escort over the age of 18, appointed by their legal guardian. The legal guardian or their designee will be responsible for the traveller under the age of 18 day to day’s care. If a legal guardian elects to designate an escort in their lieu, they will be required to complete and sign a relevant document, to delegate their authority.
6.BORDER CROSSINGS ON THIS TRIP:
Exit South Africa - Jeppe's Reef
Enter Swaziland - Matsamo
Exit Swaziland - Matsamo
Enter South Africa - Matsamo
Enter South Africa - Matsamo
Enter Mozambique - Ponta do Ouro
Exit Mozambique - Ponta do Ouro
Enter South Africa - Kosi Bay
Exit South Africa - Maseru Bridge
Enter Lesotho - Maseru Bridge
Exit Lesotho - Van Rooyenshek
Enter South Africa - Van Rooyenshek
7. Border crossing delays in the region have been sporadic and difficult to predict as travel rebounds. What takes an hour one day may take four hours the next. This may affect the order of activities in the itinerary. We understand this uncertainty can be frustrating, and we strongly recommend packing a bit of patience and flexibility.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information