Connect with Iranian women in city salons and sleepy villages
Discover culture and camaraderie in Iran through the lives of the women who live there on a female-only expedition. Spend 12 days exploring with a local female leader and a group of female travellers and partake in a range of experiences otherwise off limits to mixed gender groups. Step inside the hidden world of an Iranian beauty salon, wander through a women-only park, and travel by public transport in the women-only carriage of the metro, local buses and an overnight train. Experience rural nomadic life with Qashqai people, meet female entrepreneurs and hear secret recipes from those in the know. Learn from inspiring Iranian women – young and old, religious and secular, conservative and liberal.
See a different side of Iran as you travel with an all-women group and a local female leader, allowing you to forge connections with the women who call this country home.
Enjoy a picnic in one of Iran’s women’s-only parks, one of the few places women can enjoy the sunshine without a hijab.
Immerse yourself in rural nomadic life on a beautifully remote homestay with the Qashqai people. Enjoy a meal, sing songs, try on the local dress, and give bread-baking a go.
Step inside the fascinating hidden world of an Iranian beauty salon. You’ll see that these are oases for many local women, providing a safe space for them to relax and (literally) let their hair down.
Experience the wondrous remains of the ancient capital of Persepolis – the scale and grandeur will leave you in no doubt that this was once the centre of the known world.
Take part in a hands-on cooking class where your local hosts will share age-old secret recipes and techniques before you feast on the fruits of your labour.
Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. It is very important that you adhere to a strict dress code regardless of the weather. Upon arrival in Iran, all women must wear a headscarf and must also have their arms and legs covered.
Getting a visa for Iran can be a frustrating and time-consuming process. It may take a couple of weeks to get your authorisation code, and then it can take up to 30 days to receive your visa back from the embassy or consulate. Please read the ‘Passports, visas and entry requirements’ section of the Essential Trip Information
The village homestay is a wonderful opportunity to witness everyday life outside the city. Facilities are simple and multi-share but comfortable. Please see Day 8 of the Itinerary for more details.
In 2023, Ramadan will take place from 22 March to 02 April. Travelling during this holy month can be a rewarding cultural experience. However, some regular services may not be available during the daytime, such as restaurants or coffee bars, and occasionally travel can be disrupted by events. Your leader will adjust the itinerary accordingly, but please consider your travel arrangements carefully before booking travel for this period.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Iran: Women's Expedition trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Complimentary airport arrival and departure transfers are included; valid if you are arriving on Day 1 and departing on Day 12 or if you have booked additional accommodation through us. You must provide your flight details to your booking agent at least 14 days prior to travel.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 8 (Village Home Stay) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. US, British and Canadian passport holders will need to book this trip at least three months before departure as this is the length of time it takes to process a visa for these nationalities. There may also be further travel restrictions that apply to these nationalities including restrictions for when you can arrive and depart. Please see the ‘Passport and Visa’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more details. Ensure you discuss options with a booking agent before confirming and booking any non-refundable airfares. We also encourage you to refer to our online visa application for more details. Simply select the relevant nationality in the drop-down menu to access detailed visa information at http://www.intrepidtravel.com/iran-visa-application-form
4. This itinerary has many included activities and free time for you to rest, relax or discover. Please keep in mind that under the regulations of the Iranian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, US, British and Canadian passport holders must be accompanied by a local host (Intrepid's local operator) on all activities. For this reason, your leader may suggest optional activities during this free time that are organised by our operator at your own expense. Alternatively, this free time is the perfect opportunity to relax in your hotel.
5. We recommend that before your departure you check your government's latest travel advice for information on travelling in Iran and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our ‘Travel Alerts’ page athttps://www.intrepidtravel.com/en/travel-alerts
6. Travellers cannot use debit or credit cards while in Iran. You will need to bring all the money you will need for your entire trip with you. Please read through the ‘Money Matters’ section of the Essential Trip Information for further details.
7. Deposits on this trip are non-refundable and non-transferable as per our Terms and Conditions. You are required to pay a non-refundable deposit per person for your booking to be confirmed.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information