Discover Japan's excellence on this trip through Tokyo, Kanazawa, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Osaka
Say Konnichiwa to Japan, a land of captivating culture, intriguing innovation and exceptional eats. You’ll get your fix of sushi and shopping in Tokyo before soaking up Kanazawa’s crazy samurai culture. Then, brush up on your world history at Hiroshima, spy geishas in Kyoto’s Gion district and get your Tina Turner on at an Osaka karaoke bar.
Some of our under-30 travellers prefer to get around with people their own age. If that’s you, you’re in the right place!
Over 29? We’ve got over 900 other great adventures to choose from for solo travellers, friends, families, food lovers, hiking enthusiasts, and more.
Travel solo, together
You're never alone when travelling solo with Intrepid
Japan has so many great destinations and this trip has tonnes of free time to see them your way. Think all the benefits of group travel with a leader and new buddies to explore with, without having to do (or pay for) any sightseeing experiences you don’t want to.
Immerse yourself in the varied neighbourhoods of Tokyo. From the technological subculture of Akihabara, historical Asakusa and Ueno, to the wild side of fashion in Harajuku and the nightlife of Roppongi – each suburb is almost like a city of its own and you’ll have time to explore them all.
Discover Hiroshima Peace Park & Museum – a sobering, but vital, destination for all travellers to Japan to gain insight into tragic events of the nation’s past.
Explore Kyoto with your locally-based guide on a walking tour around the Gion district, the heart of the city’s Geisha culture. Later, take the opportunity to check out some of Kyoto’s nightlife and perhaps, hit one of the karaoke bars with your crew.
Live your samurai fantasies in feudal-era Kanazawa. We’ve heard there is also excellent sake to be sampled here and plenty else: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/why-kanazawa-is-japans-best-ke...
This tour includes accommodation in multi-share dormitories. In Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka, you won't be staying in twin share hotels, but rather they'll be cool hangouts with shared facilities. This means travellers on the same booking may be split between rooms due to the single gender dormitories.
In some destinations you may be staying in a ryokan, which is a Japanese-style inn. It’s a great taste of tradition, however not everyone finds futon mattresses on a tatami mat floor, tiny bathrooms and proximity to other guests as comfortable as more western-style hotels and beds. Read more about ryokans in our Accommodation section of the Essential Trip Information.
Your leader will take you on orientation walks in each destination, giving you tips on things like supermarkets, places to eat and ATMs and recommendations of fun things to see and do. For more in depth exploration you can head off on your own or with other members of your group, or for the days we are in Kyoto and Tokyo, book one of our excellent Urban Adventures day tours. Public transport to get to various sites is easy and cheap, but do take the cost of transport into account when planning your budget for activities.
You will easily surpass your 10,000 steps a day on this trip, in fact most travellers are surprised at how much distance they end up covering just exploring places on foot! Make sure your shoes are comfy and you are fit enough to spend most of each day on your feet.
Renovation works on Miyajima's famous floating torii gate started in June 2019. During the renovation works, the torii gate is covered up under a partially transparent scaffolding. Furthermore, a bridge is being built on the left side of the gate (when viewed from the shrine) to aid the renovation works. A date for the completion of the renovation works has not been set yet.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Essential Japan trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A Single Supplement to have your own room is not currently available on this trip due to limited rooms at many of our properties.
2. This tour includes accommodation in multi-share dormitories in Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. This means travellers on the same booking may be split between rooms due to single gender dormitories used.
3. A 7-day Japan Rail Pass is included on this trip. This pass will be validated on Day 3 of the trip with the assistance of the tour leader, but you won't be able to use the pass prior to that. An extension to 14-day or 21-day pass is available to purchase, but you can only use the extended pass for travels after the trip. Please note that you can't purchase the Rail Pass or extensions once in Japan.
4. Transport from one destination to the next is included, however to get around to optional activities in your free time you will need to buy your own public transport pass - your leader will assist you with the best value options.
5. It is essential that you pack light and compact for rail travel in Japan. There are size restrictions for luggage on Shinkansen trains. Luggage from 160cm to 250cm may require an additional JPY1000 oversize luggage fee per train journey. Luggage over 251cm will NOT be permitted on the Shinkansen trains at all. Please notify your tour leader at your Welcome Meeting if your luggage is from 160cm to 250cm so they can make the necessary arrangements.
6. Renovation works on Miyajima's famous floating torii gate started in June 2019. During the renovation works, the torii gate is covered up under a partially transparent scaffolding. Furthermore, a bridge is being built on the left side of the gate (when viewed from the shrine) to aid the renovation works. A date for the completion of the renovation works has not been set yet.
7. We are currently unable to book pre or post trip accommodation at our start and finish point hotels due to limited room availability. We recommend booking a hotel of your choice through your booking agent.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information