Beaches, jungles, deserts, cities – this is India
This extensive 29-day adventure through India takes you from bottom to top, revealing the icons and local secrets of this diverse country. Revel in the tropical climate, warm waters, and lush green landscapes of the south in places like Kochi, Puducherry, and Madurai. Then be dazzled by kaleidoscopic colours, Mughal grandeur, and the overt spirituality of the north in Jaipur and Agra. Travel from Kochi to Delhi and combine the slower delights of Kerala and Tamil Nadu with the rush and jumble of Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan on our longest Original-style India tour.
Explore seaside Mamallapuram on a bicycle tour, pedalling to the eighth-century Shore Temple and incredible seventh-century stone carving known as Arjuna’s Penance.
Carve through the iridescent hills of Ootacamund (Ooty) on the vintage Nilgiri Mountain Railway, then visit a lush tea plantation.
Spot tigers, elephants, sloths, and birds on safaris and nature walks in three of India’s wildlife viewing hotspots – Mudumalai, Periyar, and Ranthambhore national parks.
Cruise the winding backwaters of Kerala and further immerse yourself in life on the water with an island homestay in this idyllic region.
Learn about life in the Rajasthani desert on a walking tour around the bustling ghats and temples of Pushkar followed by lunch with a local family.
Trains are a great way to see the countryside and get you away from the busy road system. Keep in mind that delays and cancellations are common, so a little patience will go a long way during your tour. This trip involves some long journeys by train, including overnight, so please read the itinerary carefully for travel time estimates.
From December to February, delays are more common, especially in the north of the country due to fog. It’s not uncommon for trains to be delayed for up to 12 hours. Your tour leader in conjunction with our local office will advise any changes to the itinerary.
Sleeper trains are clean and air-conditioned. Beds are padded berths with sheets, pillow, and blanket provided (although some people prefer to bring their own sleeping sheet). Please note that you may be sharing with locals of the same or opposite gender.
Part of travelling with Intrepid means respecting local cultures and sensibilities. That way you get the most out of your interactions with local people and environments. Please bring clothes that cover the arms and pants/skirts that go past the knees. A light scarf is also a good idea for covering shoulders and arms when it’s hot.
It’s important to prepare for hot sticky temperatures during the day and cooler climates in the evening, particularly in Ootacamund (AKA Ooty), Mudumalai, and Periyar National Parks. Packing layers is one of the best ways to tackle this disparity in weather.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our India South & North trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A single supplement is available for this trip and is applicable for all nights on tour with the exception of nights 5 in Mudumalai National Park and the overnight train on night 7.
2. Intrepid requires a copy of your scanned passport bio page at the time of booking to complete bookings for Ranthambhore National Park visit.
3. This trip travels back to Delhi on the afternoon of Day 28 arriving into the capital around 11 pm. Please do not book departure flights out until at least 4 am on Day 29 to allow for delays.
4. The Pushkar Camel Fair is held in late October or early November, please see the 'Climate and Seasonal Information' section of the Essential Trip Information for more detail.
5. Hot air balloon flights are operated by Sky Waltz in Jaipur. Flights operate from September 1st to April 31st and last approximately 60 mins. Return transfers, tea and coffee plus light refreshments, and a certificate of flight are included in the cost. You can register your interest and pay your tour leader at your joining meeting on day 1 of your trip. Payment must be made by cash in either INR/AUD/USD/GBP only and is USD$260pp (subject to change). Flights are subject to availability and weather conditions (tickets are fully refundable in case of bad weather).
6. As this is a combination trip, your group leader and the composition of your group may change on Day 15.
7. Please provide your full name exactly as it appears on your passport at the time of booking (including any middle names listed on your passport) for flight tickets. Ticketing fees may apply for amendments to details within 45 days of departure, and in some cases, you will be required to cover the cost of issuing a new ticket
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information