Check out the Caucasus neighbours of Armenia and Georgia.
Head deep in the Caucasus on an 11-day extravaganza around the sights of Georgia and Armenia. Discover the religious significance of Yerevan and the ancient stone-carved monasteries dotted around the countryside, visit the historic and cultural hub of Tbilisi, head to the highlands in Gudauri, dabble in Georgia’s acclaimed wine scene in Telavi and get a masterclass in traditional cuisine. With home-cooked meals, local guided walks and free time aplenty, you’d be hard pressed to find a pair of countries so rich with things to see, yet so far from the usual tourist map. Time to put it on yours.
Check out the amazing religious monuments of Armenia – the first country in the world that adopted Christianity as a state religion.
Learn the art of tolma – spiced meat wrapped in vine leaves – at a special lunch masterclass in Armenian cuisine.
Walk through the old city of the capital of Georgia, Tbilisi, on a guided tour. You’ll see modern structures and an urban café scene mashed with medieval architecture and cobbled lanes.
Enjoy a glass or two of the locally produced wine and learn about the unique Qvevri tradition of using clay pots used to create delicious, unﬁltered and organic drop.
Take a hike in the striking Caucasus mountains to perhaps one of the best positioned Churches in Europe – Gergeti Trinity Church. If the altitude does not leave you gasping, the views will!
This trip starts in Yerevan, Armenia and finishes is in Tbilisi, Georgia. Please consider the itinerary when arriving and booking an onward journey, with airfares or other travel arrangements.
This trip can involve a reasonable amount of walking. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes. To make the most of the trip, it's best if you have at least a moderate level of fitness. If you would prefer to sit out the hike in the Caucasus mountains, you can rent a 4WD taxi at your own expense.
The diversity of the seasons here makes for incredible scenery, but the weather in this region can be unpredictable. It’s best to wear layers at all times of the year in case conditions change during the day. At night the temperature can really drop, so bring your warm clothes. Weather in the Caucasus does vary and there may occasionally be itinerary changes due to road closures.
Some of the roads in Armenia and Georgia, particularly when visiting villages, can be a little rough. This may mean that some of the journeys could take a little longer than expected.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip starts in Armenia, and finishes in Georgia, you will need to consider this when booking airfares. Road transfers between Yerevan and Tbilisi are available for booking and take approximately 5.5 hours.
3. Please note there is a chance of potential changes to the itinerary due to weather at higher altitudes, which often affect roads and bridges, making travel difficult or impossible (particularly in remote areas).
4. Day 8 of this trip can involve a lot of walking. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes. You'll need a good level of fitness for this hike. The distances may not be long, but the altitude makes it much harder than your average uphill hike. The going will be slow as your body adjusts. Alternative 4WD transport can be organised on this day if you don't want to hike
5. Altitudes experienced during this trip are up to 2200m above sea level.
6. Please be advised that due to current border crossing restrictions for different Caucasus nationalities, your Trip Leader will be from neighbouring region. Your leader will have in-depth knowledge and extensive travel experience throughout the Caucasus. Local guides representing their own country are used throughout the itinerary to ensure you receive a diverse and uniquely local range of perspectives.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information