A scenic journey along Portugal’s southwest coast
Portugal’s Rota Vicentina, also known as the Fisherman’s Trail, may not be Europe’s most famous walk, but it’s certainly one of its most spectacular. A world away from the bustle of Lisbon and the sunbathers of the south, you may often find you and your group are the only ones around as you cross the most scenic sections of this ancient coastal path, passing through the sunny Alentejo and Algarve regions. Join a local leader to marvel at jagged cliffs, traverse sand dunes brimming with unique wildlife, relax on heavenly beaches and feast on fresh seafood – the beauty of this corner of Portugal will stay stamped on your memory.
Treat yourself with up to 30% off* our trips for a limited time only!Terms & Conditions
Follow the most scenic and interesting section of the coastal Fisherman’s Trail, taking in awe-inspiring views of Portugal’s cliffs, beaches and ocean.
Delight in Portugal’s bountiful coastline and enjoy a fresh seafood lunch in the village of Zambujeira do Mar with ingredients from the local fish market.
Walk to Capela de Nossa Senhora do Mar, a delightful chapel overlooking the ocean, and enjoy a spectacular sunset you won’t soon forget.
Take a load off – literally! Your luggage will be transferred between your accommodation each day, meaning you’ll only have to carry a day pack, and your luggage will be waiting at your hotel.
Rest your legs or keep the momentum going during a day at leisure in Aljezur, a mecca for surfing, hiking, stand up paddleboarding (or chilling on the beach!)
Hike to Cabo de de Sao Vicente, mainland Europe’s southwesternmost point, as your local leader shares stories of its maritime, Phoenician and Roman past.
This trip involves plenty of walking over varied and sometimes steep terrain and is best suited to travellers with a good level of mobility. Good footwear and clothing for all types of weather is recommended. Details on physical activities can be found in the itinerary.
You will be passing through remote and undeveloped parts of Portugal on your journey so you must bring a day pack to carry enough water and snacks for each day.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Hike the Rota Vicentina in Portugal trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. FIRST DAY: Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1. Please see Joining Point Hotel listed in the Essential Trip Information for this itinerary.
1. This trip starts with a welcome meeting at 6pm on Day 1 in Lisbon. Please see Joining Point Hotel listed in the Essential Trip Information for this itinerary.
2. This trip ends on Day 8 after breakfast and you are free to leave at any time.
3. The weather in south west Portugal can get very hot in the July & August, and hikes may either start very early in the morning or be curtailed in case of extreme weather.
4. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information