Encounter the warmth behind austere facades in Azerbaijan and Georgia
Spend 10-days in Azerbaijan and Georgia, where historical old towns and monasteries sit comfortably alongside towering skyscrapers. Discover warmth and pride among the ostensible austerity of Azerbaijan culture, then cross into Georgia to devour medieval ruins and traditional wines alike. Visit one of Europe's largest open-air rock museums, warm your hands against a mountain that is forever on fire, walk through the gardens of a local Kakheti family and then chat to them about provincial life over a hearty lunch. From cities to mountains, this trip guarantees encounters that will stay with you forever.
Take a guided walking tour of Azerbaijan's Old Town, where views of the Palace of the Shirvanshahs are made even more spectacular by the modern skyscrapers in the background.
The Caucasus Mountains will take your breath away in more ways than one during a hike to the 14th-century Gergeti Trinity Church, which sits in splendid isolation at 2170 m.
Break bread (or puri) with a local family in Telavi, where you’ll be treated to a home-cooked meal with some delicious Georgian favourites, traditional wine and chacha (pomace brandy).
Navigate the organised chaos of the farmers markets in Telavi. Your leader will be there to help you order as much fresh fruit, nuts or pigs heads as you desire.
Discover what is believed to be the heart of Zoroastrianism – the permanently aflame hillside of Yanardagh Fire Mountain which scholars believe influenced the religion.
There’s so much to see in this part of the world and we don't want you to miss anything. The itinerary is densely packed, but there will be the odd free afternoon or evening to explore at your own pace. Please read the itinerary carefully to determine if this will suit you.
Some of the best scenery in the region is found on foot. So, while this trip doesn't require a high level of fitness, it’s essential to be at least moderately fit if you want to partake in all activities. Make sure you bring comfortable walking shoes with good support.
This trip has a strong historical focus and is perfect for anyone with an interest in the Caucasus region. Even if you know nothing about the area, you’re bound to find yourself fascinated by the various political and social machinations that have shaped the area.
If you enjoy experiencing new food, good wine and breathtaking scenery then this is the right trip for you, keep in mind that altitudes can be high (over 2000m) so even in summer a sweater is a good idea.
1. This trip starts in Baku on Day 1 at 1.00 pm. This allows time after the joining meeting to explore Baku with your local Leader.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. Please note there is a chance of potential changes to the itinerary due to heavy rain, flooding and snow at higher altitudes, which often affect roads and bridges, making travel difficult or impossible (particularly in remote areas).
4. Please be advised that due to current border crossing restrictions for different Caucasus nationalities, your Trip Leader may be from nearby Ukraine or Russia. Your leader will have in-depth knowledge and extensive travel experience throughout the Caucasus. Local guides from Azerbaijan and Georgia are represented throughout the itinerary to ensure you receive a diverse and uniquely local range of perspectives.
5. Important itinerary change alert: due to the current border closure between Azerbaijan and Georgia, we have changed the border crossing to a flight from Baku to Tbilisi and rearranged the activities on Days 2 to 6 to best fit this modification (as per below). All itinerary inclusions and the rest of the trip remain unchanged. Please be sure to advise us of your passport information as soon as possible, so we can secure your flight. The changes will be as follows:
Day 1 Baku
Day 2 Lahji
Day 3 Sheki
Day 4 Sheki
Day 5 Baku
Day 6 flight to Tblisi and travel onto Telavi
We'll revert to the original land border crossing itinerary once the border is open
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information