Travel to South America and explore Peru's ancient Machu Picchu
Discover South America’s ancient ruins, explore colonial sights and wander through vibrant markets to get a real taste of Andean village life in the Sacred Valley. Take a winding train journey through the steep Urumbamba Valley to Aguas Calientes, the gateway to Peru’s most famous site. The ancient ‘Lost City’ of Machu Picchu is truly extraordinary and has to be seen to be believed.
Treat yourself with up to 30% off* our trips for a limited time only!Terms & Conditions
Explore the ancient ruins of Machu Picchu
Immerse yourself in the culture of Cusco
Experience traditional Andean life in the Sacred Valley
This Short Break Adventure is a ‘join in’ group departure, which means you are not accompanied by an Intrepid group leader – our local representative fills this role – and the configuration of any fellow travellers in the group might change during the trip. On day 2 of this trip, there may be up to 35 people sharing the services however the Machu Picchu tour on day 3 will be Intrepid passengers only and a maximum of 16 passengers.
This trip will run with a minimum of one person so you may be joined by other travellers (some possibly booked through different companies) booked on the same date as you, or you may be on your own.
This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Medical and health information’ section of the Essential Trip Information for more important details about altitude sickness.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Machu Picchu by Train Short Break trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This Short Break Adventure is a ‘join in’ group departure, which means you are not accompanied by an Intrepid group leader – our local representative fills this role – and the configuration of any fellow travelers in the group might change during the trip. On Day 2 of this trip, there may be up to 35 people sharing the services however the Machu Picchu tour on Day 3 will be Intrepid passengers only and a maximum of 16 passengers.
2. This trip will run with a minimum of one person, so you may be joined by other travelers (some booked through different companies) on the same date as you, or you may be on your own.
3. This tour starts with a pre-departure meeting at on Day 1 at approximately 2 pm in the hotel foyer.
4. This Short Break Adventure concludes at approximately 8 pm on Day 3. Departing flights from Cusco on this day must not be booked prior to 10 pm.
5. Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to certain sites. Additionally on certain trips it's needed to book bus, train or flight tickets. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.
6. This trip includes one visit to Machu Picchu. According to Machu Picchu visiting regulations, all visitors must follow a pre-determined route within the site. This route must be followed in one direction only, and once the guided visit commences exiting and re-entering the site is not permitted. Once the guided visit concludes, visitors must exit the site and personal exploration of Machu Picchu is not permitted. Please refer to the itinerary for details.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information