Spot wildlife and embrace wilderness on this quiet ‘Kili’ route
Tackle Mt Kilimanjaro via the quiet wilderness of the Rongai Route on this eight-day adventure. Approach the striking mountain from the north for the opportunity to see mountainside animals like monkeys and even the occasional elephant. Traverse through rich forests along the north-eastern side, then trek to the summit at dawn for a spectacular sunrise. With an expert crew of local porters, guides and cooks, you’re in capable hands for a hike that promises to be unforgettable.
The Rongai Route approaches from the north and offers a unique perspective on Kilimanjaro, as well as being the quietest of all the routes.
Experience the incredible African sunrise from Mt Kilimanjaro – the ultimate reward for conquering Africa's premier peak.
Hike through the dense greenery of Mt Kilimanjaro’s foothills, spotting native creatures and wildflowers along the way.
Witness the jagged beauty of the Mawenzi cirque during a hike through high-altitude desert, then camp by a lake that lies beneath the 5149-metre peaks.
We are an official partner of IMEC’s Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP), which means while your crew is looking out for you, we’re looking out for them.
You'll need a good level of fitness for this trip. The distances may not be long, but the altitude makes it much harder than your average uphill hike. The going will be slow as your body adjusts.
Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres (9200 feet) where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude.
Tried and tested all-purpose hiking equipment is required. Temperatures at night can get very low when you're above 3500 metres, so warm clothing and a sleeping bag are essential. You can hire this equipment if need be.
Your safety comes first. All our guides and trek leaders have been trained by independent, UK-based medical specialists and are proficient in first aid. They also carry oxygen cylinders on all treks for emergency use.
Hiking for several days without a shower can be tough – be prepared for some dust and dirt. A mask, wet wipes and a face washer may become your best friends!
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Kilimanjaro: Rongai Route trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Although no mountaineering experience is required a good level of physical fitness is necessary. You must be comfortable walking 6-8 hours uphill a day.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 2,3,4,5,6 (Camp) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. A Passenger Self-Assessment Form is required for this trip. An Intrepid booking agent will provide you with this form when you book to fill out before arrival.
4. Parts of your trip go above 2800 meters (9200 feet) where it is common for travelers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude.
5. Please arrange your flights and transfers to arrive at your Marangu hotel before 4 pm on Day 1 in order to attend the very important pre-climb briefing and information session.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information