The safety of our passengers, leaders and operators is a major priority of Intrepid.
With this in mind, we monitor world events very closely. Intrepid makes operations decisions based on informed advice from a number of sources.
1. The Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT)
For any Intrepid-operated trip, if DFAT’s advisory is at ‘Do Not Travel’ then Intrepid will either cancel the trip or reroute the itinerary to avoid the areas concerned.
2. Staff on the ground
With over 400 leaders on the ground in operational destinations and subsidiary companies in our main hub cities, Intrepid has access to an up-to-the-minute flow of information regarding the mood and feeling within the countries we work in. We are also in regular contact with the various operators we use. Their in-depth knowledge and understanding of their various areas is vital.
3. Other government travel advisories
Most countries’ governments provide their own travel advice. See below for links to some of the larger ones:
Unusually heavy monsoon rains continue across the state of Kerala causing flooding in most areas. Some of our groups currently in Kerala have experienced minor changes to their itineraries. Our ground team and local operators in India are closely monitoring the situation as the safety of our passengers, leaders, and operators is our top priority. Upcoming trips will continue to run, however impacts on these trips will be assessed on an ongoing basis as itineraries may need to be amended.
On the evening of the 5th of August a 6.9 magnitude earthquake struck on the island of Lombok, Indonesia. This was a week after Lombok was recovering from an earlier earthquake that struck on the 29th of July measuring a magnitude of 6.4. We have been monitoring the impact from both of these earthquakes on Lombok and unfortunately we have made the decision to cancel or reroute all Lombok trips departing in August. This is due to extensive damage to the parts of Lombok that we visit, temporary closure of hiking routes on Mt Rinjani and the current evacuation of travellers on Gili Islands.
It is always a difficult decision to cancel or reroute a trip, but the safety of our passengers, leaders and operators is a major priority at Intrepid.
All passengers are currently being contacted on the following departures,
Discover Lombok 11th of August 2018 (TISM180811) – cancelled
Discover Lombok 15th of August 2018 (TISM180815) – cancelled
Discover Lombok 18th of August 2018 (TISM180818) – cancelled
Discover Lombok 25th of August 2018 (TISM180825) – Cancelled.
Discover Lombok 1st of September 2018 (TISM180901) - Cancelled
Discover Lombok 8th of September 2018 (TISM180908) - Cancelled
Discover Lombok 15th of September 2018 (TISM180915) - Cancelled
Discover Lombok 22nd of September 2018 (TISM180922) - Cancelled
Bali & Lombok Adventure 4th of August 2018 (TISBC180804) – Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Adventure 8th of August 2018 (TISBC180808) – Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Adventure 11th of August 2018 (TISBC180811) - Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Adventure 18th of August 2018 (TISBC180818) – Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Adventure 25th of August 2018 (TISBC180825) - Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Adventure 1st of September 2018 (TISBC180901) - Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Adventure 8th of September 2018 (TISBC180908) - Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Adventure 15th of September 2018 (TISBC180915) - Lombok part of trip cancelled (TISM)
Bali & Lombok Hike, Bike & Raft 19th of August 2018 (TIXB180819) - Amended itinerary
Bali & Lombok Hike, Bike & Raft 26th of August 2018 (TIXB180826) - Amended itinerary
Active Bali & Lombok In Depth 11th of August 2018 (TISHC180811) - Amended itinerary
Due to wildfires much of Yosemite National Park is closed including Yosemite Valley. There is poor air quality & visibility due to the Ferguson Fire and smoke may be heavy at times. For these reasons we have re-routed the following trips until conditions improve and it is safe to return to our normal itinerary.
SSOE – California to the Rockies, SSOSC – San Francisco to Chicago, SSONC – Northern USA Road Trip, SSOH – San Fran to Vegas, SSOXC – San Francisco to New York, SSRH – Vegas to San Fran, SSRVC – Wild Western USA, SSRSC – Western USA Highlights, SSRPC – Vegas to LA, SSTRC – Utah, Nevada & California, SSRZC – USA Western Circuit, SSRXC – Best of America, STFF - Western USA Family Holiday with teenagers
All of the above trips will now visit Sequoia National Park for their scheduled Yosemite days. Sequoia National Park is similar to Yosemite's mountainous terrain and has the largest sequoia trees in the world. It is a stunning park and is a great alternative.
SSKG – San Francisco to Las Vegas and SSKPC – USA National Parks Explorer
These trips will now visit Point Reyes National Seashore and spend an extra night in Lake Tahoe. In Point Reyes, the group will visit nice coastal towns and enjoy some great coastal walks. There’s lots of wildlife in this National Park as well. Travelers will enjoy extra time in Lake Tahoe with time to enjoy the Sierra Nevada landscape.
This is a very fluid situation and we will continue to update this post as information comes to hand.
There were violent protests in Harare on 01 August in anticipation of election results. We had no tour groups in the area. We will continue to monitor the situation to assess whether we need to avoid the city for future trips.
Over the last few weeks we have seen several protests broken out over social security reforms in Nicaragua. We have been monitoring this situation closely through our ground team and local operators. Most protests have so far been peaceful, and the violent episodes have been isolated in areas which posed no risk to our travelers and staff. However, this situation has taken a turn for the worse and we now believe that there is a considerable risk for roadblocks to develop which could interrupt the running of our trips, or worse, jeopardize the safety of our travellers and that of our leaders.
We have now determined that avoiding Nicaragua altogether is the best course of action, for the time being.
Travellers on upcoming departures will be contacted individually with their options as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience while we ensure that firstly our travellers and staff on the ground are supported. The upcoming trips will continue to run, however with a modified route, including new destinations in El Salvador and Costa Rica in order to replace nights meant to be spent in Nicaragua. Travellers will be offered the option to accept the new route, to cancel with a full refund, or to transfer to another itinerary. These options will be communicated clearly in a letter sent via your booking agent. Once again, we are working hard to ensure each traveller will be presented with a safe and agreeable outcome and appreciate your understanding that this process takes time
If you have any questions or concerns about your upcoming trip please contact your booking agent for more information. We will continue to monitor the situation as it unfolds.
Departures in August will run on re-routed itneraries, as it is still not safe to enter Nicaragua. All affected travellers should have been contacted by their booking agent.
Travellers on or interested in the 'Guatemala & Beyond' (QVRK) and 'Nicaragua & Costa Rica' (QVRL) trips are recommended NOT to book flights until the start/end cities have been confirmed.
Madagascar is experiencing a new plague outbreak which has been ongoing since August 2017. Plague is endemic in Madagascar and cases have been reported nearly every year since 1980, between the months of September and April.
Two forms of plague are present in Madagascar: the bubonic plague and the pneumonic plague. The first one is transmitted from animals to human beings via flea bites. The second one is transmitted from person to person by inhaling infectious droplets. In both cases, the illness can be cured with standard antibiotics, available in the country.
WHO advises against any restriction on travel or trade on Madagascar based on the available information. It recommends travellers take some basic precautions which our outlined on their website: http://www.who.int/csr/don/02-october-2017-plague-madagascar/en/
The Australian Government’s level of travel advice for Madagascar has not changed. Similarly they recommend that travellers practice good hygiene and speak to their health provider before travelling.
Based on this advice Intepid will not be cancelling any of our departures. We will however be suspending any city center market visits in Antananarivo, and Tamatave. In addition we recommend travellers have their meals in tourist hotels and restaurants where the sanitary conditions are strictly controlled.
We will continue to monitor the situation closely via our local operations team, and government advice. Should there be any changes we will update this page.
Due to attacks in northern Rakhine State, and increased tensions in Rakhine State overall, many travel advisories warn against travel to this area specifically.
No Intrepid tours visit or travel near Rakhine State. We continue to monitor the situation through official travel advisories and our local operations team. If there should be any changes to the situation you will be advised immediately. We recommend that you check your Government's advice for their latest travel information.
There has been much media attention on the Korean peninsula following a series of North Korean missile tests in 2016 and 2017, including a recent nuclear test on 3rd September 2017. We are working closely with local embassies and government authorities, including Australian Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) to monitor and react to any changes in their current travel advice for this region. All Intrepid Travel trips in north east Asia, including Japan, China, North & South Korea are currently continuing to operate as normal and in accordance with our usual safety and risk procedures.