Take an epic railway through Russia and Mongolia to China
Looking for a journey that combines epic train travel with immersive local experiences? Come on board for an adventure through three nations – Russia, Mongolia and China – via the Trans-Siberian Railroad and the Trans-Mongolian Railroad. This 20-day transcontinental odyssey takes you from the opulence of Moscow and St Petersburg to the grace of imperial Beijing. Travel along the most famous railway in the world through the heartland of Siberia and to the vast steppes of Mongolia, discovering classical Russian architecture in Irkutsk and rugged natural beauty in Lake Baikal along the way. With traditional accommodation, authentic local experiences and insider knowledge, this tour showcases overland travel at its best.
Discover Russia, Mongolia and China on sample two of the world’s greatest overland journeys – the Trans-Siberian and Trans-Mongolian railroads.
Visit some of Intrepid’s local friends in St Petersburg and share some afternoon tea in a unique setting – a Soviet-era communal apartment.
Combine train travel with time to explore cities and villages along the way, including two nights in a homestay with a Russian family near Lake Baikal.
Immerse yourself in Mongolian wilderness during a night in a ger camp in Terelj National Park, including a locally-guided hike to a Buddhist retreat and a hand-on dumpling dinner.
Explore Ulaanbaatar on a tour of the Mongolian capital, a city where the outer suburbs are still made up of tented ger camps but the centre is home to modern skyscrapers.
This trip is based around long train journeys, including a four-night trip from Yaroslavl to Irkutsk, an overnight from Irkutsk to Ulaanbaatar and another overnight from Ulaanbaatar to Beijing. This is an authentic experience and a great way to meet, and travel like, the locals. Conditions on the trains are simple but comfortable. There is a toilet/bathroom and compartments with bunks/berths. Please note that we travel 2nd class on all overnight trains (four people per compartment). While we always try to have our groups staying together, there may be times where due to ticket availability the group will be staying in different compartments and carriages. For some more on what train travel in Russia (and around the world) is like, see our blog article here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/adventures/overnight-train-travel-around-...
As well as train travel, you’ll experience a variety of different transport types on this journey including public and private buses, metro and, of course, plenty of exploring on foot.
We like to do things the local way wherever possible. But sometimes you’ve got to rough it to get amongst it. Some of the accommodation used during this trip is basic, including the nights in tourist ger camps, local guesthouses and homestays. Sometimes facilities are shared and properties may not have hot water. But hey, we think that’s all part of the adventure.
1. Please ensure you check the visa requirements for your nationality for Russia, Mongolia and China at time of booking and allow enough time to obtain all necessary visas in advance.
2. Please provide your passport details and full name exactly as per passport at the time of booking (including any middle names listed on your passport) for train tickets. Fees may apply for amendments to details within 45 days of departure, and in some cases you will be required to cover the cost of issuing new tickets.
3. We advise against travelling with multiple passports with visas in different passports. Customs officers may not allow you entry even if the visas are valid. Please provide the exact details of the passport you will be using for travel.
4. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 7,8,9,10,14,18 (Sleeper Train), Days 11,12 (Homestay) and Day 16 (Ger Camp) where you will be in shared accommodation and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
5. To avoid disappointment we recommend that you book any theatre performances that you wish to attend in Moscow or St Petersburg in advance.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information