See Zanzibar’s beaches, the Serengeti’s savannah and Botswana’s buffalo
Marvel at the crashing white water of Victoria Falls, cruise the sprawling Okavango Delta and stake out natural waterholes in the Khama Rhino Sanctuary. This 37-day Lonely Planet Experience – powered by Intrepid – is your ticket to diverse offerings and immersive experiences throughout Africa. Witness Ngorongoro Crater and the big cats of the Serengeti. Travel through verdant national parks and remote highland villages. Come face-to-face with wild animals and explore landscapes rich in natural beauty on this memorable journey across Africa’s south to the eastern plains.
Protect the wilderness you came to explore by visiting the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos reside.
Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. As night falls, listen to the sounds of the bush coming alive.
Go wildlife-spotting along the river in Chobe National Park, home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants.
Discover the magic of South Luangwa National Park, a highly concentrated arena of noble beasts and exotic wildflowers, on a game drive at dawn.
Get incredible views over the great plains of Tanzania after a hike to Irente viewpoint in the Usambara Mountains.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the Big Five. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
Camping out in the Okavango wilderness means digging a bush toilet and going without a shower. For most travellers, this is a small price to pay for an immersive stay in nature.
The African wild comes alive at sunrise, so there will be some early starts. The thrill of spotting your first lion or rhino is well worth any loss of sleep.
The hike to Irente viewpoint on Day 31 is not overly strenuous, but a reasonable level of fitness is required.
Camping in the Serengeti National Park with no barriers between you and the animals is amazing, but it's important to heed the safety advice of your leader. You will be briefed as a group on arrival.
1. A single supplement is available on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see the itinerary above for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited and we recommend you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
3. This is a combination trip made up of 3 shorter trips. This means your crew and the composition of your group may change in Victoria Falls and Zanzibar.
4. The Zanzibar portion of your itinerary may have a few more passengers than the maximum group size of 22 as we have a crossover of trips starting and finishing in Zanzibar.
5. This trip finishes upon arrival in Nairobi on Day 37. Please do not book any flights until after 10 pm this evening.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information