An epic trek on the Overland Track through Tasmania’s most breathtaking scenery
Take on the challenge of Australia’s most famous trek – the Cradle Mountain Overland track – and take in some of Tasmania’s most stunning scenery. With two expert mountain guides at your side, you’ll make your way through temperate rainforest and groves of eucalypts, across alpine moors and through valleys, skirt the edges of bright blue lakes and take in views of waterfalls and towering peaks in the distance. Camp on the edges of historic huts under star-filled skies, wake up to dramatic landscapes and take the chance to tackle side trips like summitting Cradle Mountain and the island’s highest peak Mt Ossa. This active adventure with Intrepid is one of the best ways to take in an iconic trek and landscape.
Our biggest sale of the year is now on! Up to 25% off trips. Valid on trips departing 1 Dec 21 - 14 Dec 22. Book now to save big.Terms & Conditions
With everything taken care of, you’re free to make the most of the incredible scenery and views as you make your way along one of Australia’s most iconic hiking trails.
Leave all the organisation to us – from tickets and permits to gear hire - packs, rainwear, sleeping bag, mats, and comfortable all-season tents are all included.
Make the most of the local knowledge of two expert mountain guides along the way, and you’ll never take a wrong turn.
Enjoy the flexibility to tackle the trek as you like – the main track for a more leisurely hike, or add on a side trip like summitting Cradle Mountain or Mt Ossa for an extra challenge.
You will need to carry all your own gear on this trek. Expect the weight of your pack to be around up to 15 kg. This includes a portion of the food for the trip, and a share of a tent which will be around 1.4 kg.
This trip involves plenty of walking over varied terrain and is best suited to travellers with a great level of mobility. Good footwear, clothing for all types of Tasmanian weather, plus perhaps walking poles are recommended. Details on physical activities and a packing list can be found in the itinerary.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Trek the Cradle Mountain Overland Track trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. A pre-departure meeting will take place at 3pm the day before departure at Macpac: 22 Kingsway, Launceston, Tasmania 7250. It is important that you bring your gear to this meeting as our team will check the suitability of your gear for the trek. Please advise us if you are not able to make this.
2. It is essential that you read the Packing List in our Essential Trip Information, and that you bring all necessary items.
3. Solo travellers or travellers who will not share due to odd numbers will sleep in a cosy one person tent for the duration of the trek.
4. You will need to carry all your own gear on this trek. Expect the weight of your pack to be around up to 15 kg. This includes a portion of the food for the trip, and a share of a tent which will be around 1.4 kg.
5. Pick-up will be from 7am from a central Launceston Hotel or Accommodation of your choice. Please advise our team of your preferred location prior to departure.
6. Equipment is available for hire at an extra cost. Please see the Packing section of the Essential Trip Information for details. You must request the equipment you wish to hire via your booking agent prior to departure. All requests are subject to availability.
7. Drop off can be at various accommodations in Launceston, please advise your trip leader where you would like to be dropped off.
8. Please advise us if you need us to store extra luggage that you will not be taking on your trek.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information