A showcase of National Parks, famous landmarks and local history
See natural wonders in South Dakota, Wyoming and Montana on a 12-day small group adventure that packs plenty of National Parks into a short space of time. Uncover the beauty of Badlands National Park, before you travel to Mount Rushmore, spot buffalo in Custer State Park and continue to Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument. With two nights at Yellowstone National Park, you’ll have time to spot wildlife and watch Old Faithful spray water into the air. Then travel from Bozeman to Missoula via mountains, rivers, glaciers, and lakes. Learn about the customs and histories of the Blackfeet Native American culture and explore Glacier National Park on a vintage bus tour and a scenic river float trip. With easy to moderate walks, comfortable accommodation, and a knowledgeable leader, this nature-focussed adventure is big on beauty.
Enjoy the changing landscape of Badlands National Park as you explore the backcountry on one of the park’s best hikes.
Visit Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument and join your Crow Nation Guide to learn about the history of the area
Jump in a jeep with an expert guide to see buffalo up close and personal in Custer State Park along with pronghorns and elk.
Marvel at Mount Rushmore where a hike will take you up close to this famous mountain sculpture.
Hike Yellowstone National Park where grizzly bears, wolves and herds of buffalo and elk roam free.
Spend a day exploring the surrounds of Great Falls, learning about Native American history in First Peoples Buffalo Jump State Park, hiking in Giant Springs State Park and discovering artwork of the Old West.
Follow in the path of Lewis and Clark exploring the “Gates of the Mountains” on a river cruise along the Missouri River
Sit back and take in the views from a vintage open-top bus in Glacier National Park where you’ll find wildflowers, rushing rivers, and mountains reflected in crystal clear lakes.
Take a scenic float on the serene middle fork of the Flathead River along Glacier's southern border.
There are walking opportunities throughout this trip. We recommend you bring good quality walking shoes if you're keen to enjoy a hike - or two!
Lunches will be simple picnic style so perhaps bring some of your own snacks if you think you’ll get hungry between meals.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding domestic travel prior to booking this trip.
The optional wolf tracking expedition is not available for the 17 July departure.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Great American West trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 10am. Please make your own way to the Joining Point Hotel listed in the Essential Trip Information for this itinerary.
2. This trip is a combination of two of our most popular itineraries. As such the composition of your group and your leader may change on day 7.
3. This trip finishes at approximately 3pm in Missoula. No accommodation is booked for this evening. If departing this day, please do not book any flights before 6pm. if you would like to spend more time in Missoula, we can request additional accommodation for you post tour. Please speak to your booking agent.
4. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights on your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
5. Please ensure you have checked local state information regarding COVID-19 restrictions and regulations before you travel.
6. The optional wolf tracking expedition is not available for the 17 July departure.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information