Dive into the customs and landscapes of Vanuatu
Uncover raw beauty and vibrant culture on the tiny islands of Vanuatu on this five-day expedition that takes in the legendary land diving ritual of Pentecost island's Indigenous people. Leave behind the resorts of Port Vila and fly to rainforest-rich islands where you can meet locals, immerse yourself in nature and enjoy true adventure travel. Be amazed by the naghol festival, the original bungee jumping, which has been called ‘the most remarkable custom in all of Melanesia’, and get an insight that few visitors receive. This is Vanuatu like never seen before.
Witness naghol, the unique land-diving ceremony of South Pentecost (and the inspiration for the modern sport of bungee jumping).
Visit remote villages accompanied by a local leader who will ensure you have an immersive experience of Vanuatu's unique cultural practices.
Stay in traditional bamboo bungalows and enjoy meals cooked with love by the village mamas using fresh organic produce from the gardens and the sea.
Snorkel and swim in pristine blue waters and relax in the sun on the sandy beaches of the South Pacific.
This trip gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in an authentic island community and experience the culture and traditions. It's a fascinating insight into South Pacific culture and a world away from your typical resort holiday.
The people on the Pentecost welcome tourists and are forgiving of inadvertent cultural transgressions. Even so, it is inappropriate for women to wear bikinis or skimpy clothing. Women should wear knee-length dresses or skirts with modest tops when visiting. T-shirts and board shorts make good ‘island-style’ swimwear as an option to bikinis.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Vanuatu Expedition: Land Diving Festival trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. The Group Meeting is at 5 pm on Day 1.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Days 2-3 where you will be in shared village bungalow accommodation, includes accommodation in Port Vila only, and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. You must provide us with a copy of your passport no later than 30 days before your departure in order for us to book the domestic flights included on this trip. We are unable to book your flights without a passport copy.
4. The trip concludes early afternoon on Day 5.
5. Due to frequent flight delays, we highly recommend allowing additional days in Port Vila before and after your tour and considering flying Virgin or Fiji Airways.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information