A historic walk through the heart of the English countryside
A Roman reminder spanning coast to coast across the north of England, Hadrian’s Wall is a historic spectacle of emperor Hadrian’s reign in the once Roman province of Britannia. Now, this Wall, along with a number of ruins dotted along the way, provides the trail to follow for a seven-day exploration of pre-British history on two feet. Trekking from the western outpost of Carlisle to the eastern reaches at Heddon-on-the-Wall nearby Newcastle upon Tyne, spend a week following one of the richest examples of Roman history in the United Kingdom. Walking at a reasonable but not strenuous pace daily, stopping by quaint English villages and staying in comfortable twin-share accommodation, this guided Hadrian’s Wall walking adventure is the ideal way to discover well-preserved sections and the surrounding countryside.
Hadrian’s Wall walking trails are well developed and full of Roman history. With a local guide leading the way, you’ll gain a true insight into this piece of history often overlooked by travellers in England.
On two separate occasions, admire the stark beauty at Sycamore Gap. Known as the Robin Hood tree, enjoy an included picnic lunch nearby and retrace your steps the next day to see the scene in the morning light.
Take your time to discover important spots along the way, with an included visit to Birdoswald Roman Fort and a stop Fort at Housesteads, learning of the tales of the Wall.
Walking every day doesn’t mean you’re going to be ruined like the remains along the trail. With a well-designed itinerary, the prevailing winds behind you plus some time at leisure in Cholleford, you’ll be trekking with ease.
The English countryside has never looked so good. While the focus is Hadrian’s Wall on this itinerary, your eyes – and camera – will be occupied each step of the way by the lush landscapes of northern England.
Please ensure you consult your local government’s advice regarding travel prior to booking this trip.
This trip is new to our range this year. And while we have thoroughly researched every detail of the logistics, new destinations and working with new partners can sometimes throw us some unexpected surprises. More often than not, it’ll be a great surprise. But every now and again there might be a hiccup. We like to think that’s what puts the ‘adventure’ in ‘adventure travel’.
This walking trip is a point-to-point walking itinerary. So, while this trip doesn't require a high level of fitness, it’s essential to be at least moderately fit if you want to partake in all activities. Please ensure you bring sturdy walking shoes and comfortable clothes.
Your luggage will be transported for you, but it would be wise to bring a daypack to carry your essentials.
Some days of walking include undulating sections and some uneven terrain, so consider bringing walking poles as an aid at these times if you wish.
The diversity of the seasons in England makes for incredible scenery, but the weather in this region can be cold. It’s best to wear layers at all times of the year in case conditions change during the day. Please be equally prepared to walk in sunshine and rain.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Walk Hadrian’s Wall Highlights trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. This trip starts with a group meeting at 10 am on day 1 in Carlisle at a local café (exact details will be provided when your booking is confirmed) and ends after breakfast on the final day. Please plan your arrival and departure accordingly. We are happy to book additional accommodation before or after the trip for you, subject to availability.
2. If you plan to arrive by car, please search for relevant car park options in Carlisle. Private and public transport from the end of the trip back to Carlisle are available.
3. Arriving by train is most environmentally friendly. Carlisle is well connected with Newcastle, Glasgow, Leeds, and Edinburgh as well as London and Manchester. Consider this mode of transport to start your trip.
4. A single supplement is bookable on this trip, subject to availability at the time of booking. If you would like to book a single supplement and enquire about availability, please speak to your booking agent. Please note single supplement exception: Walton.
5. Use of triple rooms may be required in Walton at times, due to high demand and lack of availability of other room types.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information