At Intrepid, “being the best travel company for the world” is more than just words. It’s a commitment backed up by over 32 years of work. That’s why we openly share our environmental and social performance every year in our Integrated Annual Report.
On this journey you’ll find out how we’ve become the world’s largest adventure travel company and recertified as a B Corp, the achievements and challenges of the past 12 months, and how we balance purpose and profit – now and in the future.
"2021 was also the year where Intrepid took sustainability to the world stage. In November I attended COP26 in Glasgow as a guest of the UNWTO to launch the Glasgow Declaration on Climate Action in Tourism."
Darrell Wade, Chairman
"After 10 months of hibernation, 2021 was the year we set Intrepid up for revival. Borders progressively reopened and global travel restarted in some format. At Intrepid, we welcomed our new shareholders, and began to implement our revised strategy."
James Thornton, CEO
With the release of Intrepid’s 2021 Impact Report, the stats are officially in.
Read all the good stuff that went on behind the scenes in 2021, here on our blog.
Our value creation capitals in 2021
We invest in our people, culture and training so that our team are safe, happy and able to deliver against business goals
- 1,235 staff and leaders from 58 nationalities in 46 countries
- 82% staff engagement score
- E-NPS of 54 (target of 48)
Brand and know-how
We invest in our brands and operations to ensure that we deliver the right product to the right market at the right time
- 150 new trips created
- Reopened multi-day operations in 40 countries
- Offered 206 day tours in 60 cities
We commit to being carbon neutral and to the sensitive design of trips to minimise our footprint on the environment
- Carbon neutral since 2010 – certificated by Climate Active
- Our verified science-based target will support us to halve our carbon emissions by 2030
- All offices powered by renewable energy by 2025
Social and relationships
We commit to giving back to the communities we travel to by employing locally, buying locally and investing in community projects
- 28,233 people in low-income countries were able to access vaccines thanks to the funds raised by the Intrepid Foundation
- We’re committed to gender equality in our business and our supply chain – 45 per cent of our largest suppliers are female-owned
- Our Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) supports respectful relationships and the economic empowerment of First Nations Australians
We invest in innovative products and leader training to deliver exceptional experiences to our customers
- The safety and security of our staff, leaders and customers is our priority. Our leading health and safety policies supported the restart of safe operations in 40 countries
- Our customers told us our trips are better than ever – customer NPS is 75 (+1 YoY)
- Our trips change people’s lives – over 90 per cent of customers experience positive effects in education, cultural or wellness from our trips
We maintain a healthy balance sheet to enable growth and expansion of the business
- Welcomed minority shareholder French family business Genairgy
- Grew the market for sustainable travel via acquisitions of Wildland Trekking, Chimu Adventures and Haka Tours
- As travel recovered, took $124.2 million in bookings
The Intrepid Foundation
Intrepid’s not-for-profit supports local organisations around the world to improve the livelihoods of vulnerable individuals and communities through sustainable travel experiences. Since 2002, we’ve raised more than $12 million for 138 communities around the world.
- $501,447 raised
- 31,508 people were directly supported via funding
- 516,099 trees were planted in Kenya
Our contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
Created by the United Nations in 2015, the 17 Sustainable Development Goals are designed to meet the greatest challenges facing the world by 2030.
Intrepid has identified eight SDGs that align to our key focus areas and we work to contribute to their health and value.