Walk, swim, explore and marvel at the beauty of the Turkish coastline
Imagine a magical place where ancient ruins crumble between lush greenery, rocky cliffs tower out of the Mediterranean Sea below and quaint towns sit perched above the southern coastline – this is Lycia. And this is your chance to explore it all. Spend an unforgettable week walking along the Lycian Way, a path once used by ancient Greeks and Romans, joined by a local leader who will add historical context to all your discoveries. You’ll reach ancient cities like Olympos, Aperlai and Sidyma by foot – your journey through the wilderness, making the ancient ruins that much sweeter to explore. You’ll get your blood pumping and ignite your passion for the outdoors but still enjoy time to rest and rejuvenate between hikes. Think afternoon boat tours on the Mediterranean, cultural activities, traditional meals and sunsets by the water to make sure you're balancing work and play. If you can call scenic hikes to incredible locations work, that is.
Spend an unforgettable week walking along the Lycian Way, a path once used by ancient Greeks and Romans, joined by a local leader who will add historical context to your discoveries.
Unearth thousands of years of Turkey’s history and see how tradition lives on today during visits to Fethiye, Phaselis, Olympos, Adrasan, and Aperlai.
Your walks will be complimented by a truly spectacular backdrop – the Turquoise Coast. Named for its vibrant waters, you’ll have plenty of chances to marvel at stunning beaches and dazzling coastline.
Visit Cirali Bay, home of sea turtles, legendary flames and Lycian ruins, this is a place where history and nature meet
Hike to the ancient ruins of Olympos - one of the major cities of the Lycian union, this important city served as both a centre for trade and a pirate stronghold for many centuries.
This is a walking trip with daily hikes of up to 15 kilometres/7 hours per day on rocky ground, steep terrain, and possible hot weather. You need to be in a moderate physical shape to complete all hikes in expected time.
Where possible, we have tried to plan the walking in the mornings but please prepare for potential hot weather, even in Spring and Autumn months.
You will need to pack good walking shoes, a hat, some sunscreen, and a daypack.
We strongly recommend bringing pair of walking poles. Please note, these cannot be obtained locally. Additionally, don’t forget a jacket and swimming gear.
Trip departures are unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Walk the highlights of the Lycian Way trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Welcome Meeting starts at 6pm on Day 1.
2. Most internal flights in Turkey have a luggage restriction of 15 kg checked and 8 kg cabin.
3. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
4. Your main luggage/bag will be transferred for you to the next destination while you are hiking.
5. We recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Turkey before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page - www.intrepidtravel.com/travel-alerts
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information