Travel to the land of toucans, tacos and tamales
Dive into Central America on this 47-day Lonely Planet Experience, bookended by two chaotic capitals and filled with fun, adventure and culture. Journey through Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica on an epic adventure through the tantalising highlights of the region. Get acquainted with Central American cultures, spectacular landscapes and fascinating histories as you explore the wealth of ancient ruins, spot the range of unusual wildlife and relax on idyllic Caribbean shores. This is one of our longest adventures through Central America – a trip that zig-zags from the top of the continent to the bottom and delivers you with stories to tell and a tan to show off.
This is one of our most extensive trips in Central America, hitting more than 20 destinations and introducing you to the cities, villages and myriad cultures of seven countries.
Your local craft fair just won’t feel the same after you’ve experienced Chichicastenango, a colourful Guatemalan market that draws thousands of vendors from the surrounding mountain villages.
Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World – find out why. Strolling around the ancient Maya ruins feels pretty wondrous.
A few days on Caye Caulker provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy Belizean island vibes, beachside beers and optional snorkelling, the perfect (almost) hallway point for this epic adventure.
Discover the jungle Costa Rica is famous for during a stay in Monteverde, a misty rainforest area home to sloths, hummingbirds, white-faced monkeys and tapirs among hundreds more animal species.
Central America is a big place. In order to see as much as we can, this trip includes some long days spent travelling. Please read the itinerary carefully for travel time estimates.
This trip uses public transport in some destinations. It’s better for the environment and you’ll get an authentic look at daily life, just be aware you may find yourself sharing a busy bus ride with local commuters (for example).
You’ll be crossing the borders between seven countries on this trip and while the process is usually straightforward, you may need to be patient. Make sure you’ve got your best car game ready in case of any delays!
Is it hot in here? The weather in tropical Central America can be sticky. Pack light, comfortable clothes and carry plenty of water.
The homestay in San Jorge La Laguna is a wonderful opportunity to experience everyday life. Facilities are basic and multi-share but comfortable, with a shared bathroom. A hearty homecooked breakfast and dinner will be served during your stay, which can be a lot more basic than what you're used to.
It’s a good idea to try and brush up on as many Spanish words as you can. You’ll most likely find the locals friendly but a little shy (especially in the smaller cities and villages), so knowing some local lingo is a great way to break the ice.
There is plenty of opportunity to get active during this adventure. Some of the optional activities require a moderate level of fitness, especially the volcano hikes. If you want to take it easy, there are plenty of relaxing things you can do instead.
1. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm on Day 1 in Mexico City . There are no activities planned for the final day so you may depart at any time.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement excludes Day 7 (Overnight bus) and Days 24 & 25 (Rio Dulce) where you will be in shared accommodation. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. Multishare typically includes triple and quad rooms. You may be required to share with group members of the opposite sex and couples, and people travelling together may occasionally be separated due to rooming configurations.
4. To save you money and the hassle of booking multiple trips, this journey is a combination of some of our most popular adventures. Your leader and the composition of your group may change with the start of each adventure.
5. Please be careful when booking flights to/from San Jose; make sure you fly out of Juan Santamaria International Airport [SJO]. Please do not book flights from Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport [SJC] as this is located in California, United States.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information