Do I need a visa for Egypt?
The short answer is yes; foreign nationals from most countries - bar 10 - must obtain a visa before travelling to Egypt. For most nationalities, organising a visa for Egypt can be done on arrival at Cairo International Airport or online via the Egyptian government's official e-visa portal. This includes citizens of Australia, New Zealand, the EU and the USA*. If you're not eligible to apply for a visa online, you'll need to do so through your nearest Egyptian embassy or consulate.
A single entry visa is valid for three months from the date of issue and entitles the bearer to one month of travel in Egypt. If you're from a country that doesn't require a visa before travel, such as Bahrain, Hong Kong, the United Arab Emirates and Lebanon, you can stay in Egypt for up to 3 months.
*As of September 3rd, Canadians can no longer apply for a visa on arrival and will have to obtain an e-visa before travelling.
How to obtain a visa on arrival in Egypt
If you wish to obtain your visa on arrival at Cairo Airport:
- Purchase the visa at an approved bank kiosk within the arrivals hall before proceeding to the immigration counters.
- You will be given a stamp to put on your passport.
- Proceed to the immigration counters and a passport control official. Here, you must present your stamped passport with at least six months validity after arrival, a travel itinerary and documentation outlining accommodation and tour bookings.
Visas on arrival can be purchased in US dollars, British pounds or euros, and only in cash. Currently, the cost for a single entry tourist visa is USD$25.
How to apply for an e-visa to Egypt
- Go to visa2egypt.gov.eg. This is Egypt's only official government e-visa portal; however, other websites falsely claim to provide this service, sometimes at double the price.
- Follow the prompts to sign up, sign in, apply, and pay online. Please note that Egypt e-visas can only be paid for in US dollars or euros. Egyptian pounds are not accepted as a form of payment for e-visas.
- After your visa application has been processed, you will receive an email updating you on the status of your application.
- If successful, you will be emailed a link to download your e-visa to present on arrival in Egypt. Passport control officers at Egyptian ports of entry will verify your e-visa on their system.
If you are eligible for an Egypt e-visa, you must create an application at least seven days before arrival. Currently, the cost for a single-entry tourist e-visa is USD$25. On arrival in Egypt, you must present a printout of your e-visa, along with a passport of at least six months validity after your arrival date, a travel itinerary, and documentation outlining accommodation and tour bookings.
The page is for general information only and may be subject to change. It is your responsibility to obtain the relevant visa and travel information required for entry, departure and travel to each country or region you visit on your trip. You should confirm these with the relevant embassies and/or consulates.
Last updated: 14/06/2023
Our tours in Egypt