Encounter rare wildlife and resilience in Uganda and Rwanda.
Come face to face with heartbreaking history and incredible wildlife on a 6-day Premium journey through Uganda and Rwanda. Enter the world of rare mountain gorillas in Uganda’s Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and spend a day tracking and observing these endearing creatures. This soul-stirring adventure won’t soon be forgotten. See sombre reminders of Kigali’s devastating past, watch local life play out on the streets and witness a beautiful country that's continuously striving to move forward.
With your gorilla permit included in the price of the trip, spend a day through Bwindi Impenetrable Forest to get close to Uganda's rare mountain gorillas for an unforgettable hour. There’s also a chance to do a second trek that can be booked on request at an additional cost. Please refer to the itinerary for more details.
Wake up to spectacular views of the forest canopy during three nights at your carbon neutral Feature Stay, the Nkuringo Gorilla Lodge in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Venture into Lake Mburo National Park for an Exclusive Experience where you’ll set out on a boat cruise across the lake’s calm waters in search of crocodiles, hippos and rare species of birds.
Sit down to dinner with a local park ranger during an Exclusive Experience, learning about life in the wilderness and their special relationships with the mountain gorillas. This is one dinner conversation you've likely never had before!
Take a closer look at Rwanda’s devastating history and the resilience of its people at the Genocide Museum, a confronting yet important experience.
Tracking gorillas in the dense forest can sometimes be wet, humid, muddy and uncomfortable. The terrain is by no means easy either, so it can be pretty strenuous walking. You need to be prepared and fit enough to walk up to 4 hours up and down hills (perhaps pack some gardening gloves to assist in any up-hill climbs). But the sheer thrill of coming across a habituated group of gorillas, dominated by a great male silverback, more than outweighs any difficulty.
The gorilla trek is a shared activity. You may be split into different groups according to fitness level, and be accompanied by other travellers on your trek. However there will only be a maximum of 8 people per gorilla family, plus a local Uganda Wildlife Ranger, and trackers.
There's a long drive from Lake Mburo to Bwindi (approximately 6 hours) with plenty stops to rest and take photos, the journey will be just as beautiful as the destination.
1. This trip requires a higher non-refundable deposit (AUD1000, USD1000, EUR800, NZD1250, GBP650, CAD1000, ZAR8000, CHF900) in order to secure the included gorilla permit. Please note that we need to confirm availability of a gorilla permit if you are booking within 45 days of departure. The additional deposit paid at time of booking will be credited to the final balance of your booking.
2. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. This trip ends in Kigali on arrival on the afternoon of Day 6. Please do not book International flights departing before 7pm this evening to allow for possible delays.
4. Please note that the Gorilla Permit included is only valid for one day on Day 4. For those who are interested for a second trek, please consult your booking agent about purchasing the second Gorilla Permit.
5. Travel is always an adventure and, as destinations reopen, there are a few challenges as everyone gets back up to speed and adjusts to the new normal. Our leaders are experts when it comes to dealing with anything unexpected along the journey, so pack your understanding and flexibility, sit back and relax while they take care of the rest.
6. IMPORTANT: 2023 Itinerary Change
In 2023, this itinerary will go back to its pre-COVID route, starting and ending in Kigali. It will NOT begin in Kampala. The itinerary will be updated online by the end of October 2022.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information