Serengeti, Masai Mara, Ngorongoro, Zanzibar: highlights don't get much more famous than this.
Discover the best of East Africa on this 10-day journey beginning in Nairobi, Kenya. Travel to some of Africa's most famous areas including the Masai Mara National Reserve, Serengeti National Park and the Ngorongoro Crater, where you'll take multiple game drives in search of the Big Five animals and more. Take in the enormity of Africa's largest lake and switch Africa's animals for people as you spend time with the Maasai people and learn about both their ancient traditions and more modern way of life from an elder.
Our biggest sale of the year has been extended! Up to 25% off trips. Valid on trips departing 1 Dec 21 - 14 Dec 22. Book by 3 December.Terms & Conditions
Visit a street market and haggle alongside locals for pigs and chickens before delivering these sustainable food sources to villages on the outskirts of Nairobi. Sit down in a local’s home afterwards for tea and coffee and learn about life in Kenya.
Meet Maasai warriors and experience Kenya's tribal life at an afternoon village visit in Loita Hills.
Venture into the incredible Masai Mara National Reserve for a full-day game drive in 4WDs.
Explore the Serengeti National Park in depth, with two early morning and two late afternoon game drives through this spectacular wildlife arena.
Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4WD for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros.
Snorkel with tropical fish on a dhow cruise in the transparent waters of northern Zanzibar.
The section of this trip that takes place in Zanzibar is unescorted. You will not have a designated local leader while you are here. However, our local representatives are on hand should you need any advice or assistance.
Camping in the Serengeti National Park with no barriers between you and the animals is amazing, but it's important to heed the safety advice of your leader. You'll be briefed on arrival.
This is an overland trip. That means you’ll be travelling with a group in a purpose-built vehicle, visiting remote communities, setting up your own tent (unless you’re on an Original or Comfort style trip), occasionally roughing it in the bush with no facilities, and getting the best possible views of the ‘big five’. While the trucks don’t have air conditioning, they do have sliding windows which let in the breeze and make it even easier to take spectacular snaps of the local wildlife. The drive days can be long, but it’s as much about the journey as the destination, and half the fun is the camaraderie. For more info on this style of travel, see our Africa overland page: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/au/africa/overland
There will be many early starts either to make use of the better safari time or to beat the morning traffic on long travel days.
1. A single supplement is available if you’d prefer not to share a room on this trip. The single supplement applies to all nights of your trip and is subject to availability. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
2. This trip includes 2 nights camping within the Serengeti National Park. Tents, sleeping mats and sleeping bags will be provided. Please bring a pillow (or travel pillow) for these 2 nights.
3. You will be unescorted for the flight and Zanzibar portion of this trip. However, our local representatives will be on hand to look after you.
4. This trip finishes on the northern beaches of Zanzibar. Pre-bookable transfers back to Stone Town are available through your bookings consultant or your hotel can assist in arranging a taxi.
5. An optional sunrise balloon ride in the Serengeti National Park is possible on this itinerary. Please see Day 7 for full details of this activity. As the balloon only holds 16 people, places are limited, and we recommend that you book in advance. Please inquire when booking your trip to book this optional activity.
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information