Explore Ethiopia, the ‘cradle of humanity’
Travel to Ethiopia and discover a beautiful country, barely touched by modern society. It’s an incredible combination of history, tradition, culture and nature. From 3 million-year-old fossilised hominid remains in Addis Ababa to the rituals of the Mursi, Hamar, Konso tribes and more through to amazing rock-hewn churches, hidden crypts and grottoes in Lalibela – this trip take you deep into human history. The 500-year-old monastery islands of Bahir Dar, the elegant castles of Gondar, the majestic geological formations of the Simien mountains, the giant obelisks that rise out of Axum, and even the rumoured home of the Ark of the Covenant. This 18 day trip travels through the villages and wildlands of Ethiopia, taking in views of the Blue Nile and trekking to the peaks of the Simien Mountains (meeting red chested Gelada baboons). You’ll be sure to taste the country’s famous coffee and delectable cuisine, and meet the genuine and friendly people along the way. This is an adventure like no other.
Visit Hamar villages, sitting with barely any influence from the outside world. If you're lucky, you might get a glimpse of the energetic 'jumping of the bull' – a long running initiation ceremony.
Meet a Mursi tribe and learn about their unique traditions of extending their lower lips and brutal stick fighting.
Enjoy a dinner in Bahir Zaf restaurant and support a project that opened its doors to train young people in catering services, thereby generating an income and creating employment opportunities after training.
Search for the source of the Blue Nile on a boat cruise at Lake Tana, then discover the churches and unique castles of the regal city of Gondar.
Trek the majestic series of undulating amethyst peaks that make up the Simien Mountains, looking out for the distinctive red-hearted Gelada.
Explore Lalibela's unique churches - astonishing constructions sculpted from huge slabs of stone - that make up one of the world's greatest historical and religious sites.
Camp in the Mago National Park with basic facilities before visiting the Mursi tribe the following day.
We are welcomed into different villages, tribes and ways of life on this itinerary. While very fascinating it is important to show our respects and only take photos once a bond has been created and approval given.
Experience the Simien Mountains National Park at night during a night of camping in the park.
In Lalibela and Simien Mountains National Park we include day hikes to experience the beauty of the regions on foot.
On this itinerary we travel completely by land. There will be some long drives on days 2, 7 & 10.
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Best of Ethiopia trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
1. Parts of your trip go above 2800 metres / 9200 feet where it is common for travellers to experience some adverse health effects due to the altitude.
2. A single supplement is available on this trip. Please speak to your booking agent for further information.
3. A sleeping bag will be provided for the one night of camping in Simien Mountains National Park. While a blanket & sheet will be provided for the one night of camping in Mago National Park. Overnight temperatures are usually quite mild however if you feel the cold then a sleeping bag from home is also recommended.
4. Days 3-6 of the itinerary are sometimes amended depending on the ceremonies and markets in the area. If this is the case all inclusions and nights at each location will not change.
5. We recommend that you check your government's advice for their latest information on travelling in Ethiopia before your departure and ensure that your travel insurance covers you for all areas of your itinerary. We have links to prominent government travel advisories and regular updates on issues affecting this trip on our Travel Alerts page - www.intrepidtravel.com/au/travel-alerts